We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear sightings

atlanta
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bear sightings

Hard one,any chance of seeing BEARS MID MAY???

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear sightings

Probably not. Bear sightings are not very common in RMNP. Still, people must be very careful with food at the campgrounds.

nps.gov/romo/naturescience/black_bears.htm

We had an unusually warm March and I 've read that the bears are coming out of hibernation earlier than normal. As of last week sightings have already been reported in Colorado Springs, Aspen, Durango and Summit County.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear sightings

my backyard has been visited last week .. outside of divide .. in about 9300 feet

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,327 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear sightings

Last year in April, a sow and two cubs were frequenting the Fall River Road area. Of course, this was usually around 3:00 in the morning and they were trying to raid the bear proof trash containers. I saw them several times as their rattling woke me up! One of the businesses in Estes had a bear hibernate in their crawl space over this winter/spring.

florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear sightings

fv - I've never seen a bear in EP, and I've gone out many mornings early on the lookout. What business had a "visitor"?

I got a call from a neighbor the second week of Sept last year, right after we left town, who told me a 3rd neighbor had a bear working over her bird feeder on the patio.....probably 100 feet from my front door. But still, bears in EP remain like the Lochness Monster to me - only rumored...lol

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,327 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear sightings

Plz, you will enjoy this. http://www.estesparknews.com/?p=7384

Apparently, the bear(s) along Fall River made several day time appearances as well. Friends told us the property manager at Bear Paw/Riverstone condos had to chase a bear off several times with his paint ball gun.

Bears are more common along the Cache La Poudre River. We watched one come through every night on the way to the river from the windows of our B&B. There was bear scat all along the river. Last summer a bear was frequenting the Mountain Park campground and picnic area. The forest service put up warning signs.

We also had a bear cross the road in front of our car in Big Thompson Canyon on our way home one evening. He crossed just below Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park.

The bears are there. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

atlanta
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear sightings

Thank's for the info.

Johnstown, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear sightings

We were at Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park yesterday and there was a bear ransacking the trash cans outside the bathroom at about 8 PM.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,327 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bear sightings

Yes, due to the drought the bears are especially hungry and are unfortunately making the local news frequently as they scour human habited areas for easy pickings. "A fed bear is a dead bear."

I know that park has bear proof trash containers. Apparently, folks were not using those.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bear sightings

Those bear proof containers are there to protect the bears, please use them!! I have been going to RMNP for many, many years and finally saw a bear for the first time in the park last September. It was alone, right up the hill from Sheep Lakes. Rare, but we were thrilled. I was told be a retired park ranger one time that over the 20+ years he worked in the parked, he never saw a bear. So, I feel pretty blessed to have seen one in a natural environment and not raiding trash cans or other human elements!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
149 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bear sightings

We saw a bear Sunday am in the Fish Hatchery Road area. Several nights before one of the garbage cans had been tipped and moved but still intact.