We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do when it rains?

1 post
Save Topic
What to do when it rains?

My boyfriend and I are going to Estes Park this coming weekend. (May 20-24) And the weather says its going to rain the entire time. We planned on doing an ATV tour and a photo tour early in the am one day. What are some other activities we can do? We love being outside and we don't mind spending money but would like to keep the price point between $50-$100 person.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do when it rains?

Especially in the mountains, our weather in Colorado is so variable that even our local meteorologists can't predict the weather very accurately more than 48 hours in advance. It is way too soon to predict Estes Park and RMNP weather for this coming weekend. As your trip nears, check this link for Estes Park weather.

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

Here is the weather forecast for the Bear Lake area of RMNP.

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

It is rare for there not to be at least a chance of showers in Estes Park and RMNP. What that usually means is either the type shower you would have to run around in to get wet or a brief downpour that blows through quickly. Because of the elevation differences and other factors, it can be snowing at RMNP Bear Lake and be perfectly sunny in RMNP Moraine Park.

I just posted a long reply for someone else planning a visit to Estes Park/RMNP this coming weekend. See reply #3 on this topic.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945…

Edited: 15 May 2017, 02:48
Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
1,439 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Moraine Park Campground
Moraine Park Campground
157 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do when it rains?

Although I doubt you will need them, here are some other ideas for rainy day activities which I did not mention on the post I referred you to. RMNP ranger programs at the Visitor Centers, epic indoor climbing gym at Estes Park Mountain Shop, bowling at Chipper Lanes, visit the Estes Park Museum, shopping in Estes Park, glass blowing demonstrations at the two glass galleries in Estes Park, movies at one of the two movie theaters in town, couples massage, tour the Art Center of Estes Park Gallery

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park Mountain Shop
Estes Park Mountain Shop
166 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
The Estes Park Resort
The Estes Park Resort
500 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
florida
Level Contributor
459 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do when it rains?

If that forecast is correct this far in advance, it is by mistake. I don't trust the daily forecast on the day in question, let alone 7-10 days ahead.

FV outlined a few indoor activities, I will add a ghost tour, and still encourage some outdoor exploring by driving in the park. Animals are still roaming, go find some to enjoy and watch

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do when it rains?

plz2meatu - Welcome back! The Stanley Hotel tour and a detailed description and map link for a wildlife driving tour are included in my reply #3 on the topic I referenced in reply #1.

Mentioned in this post
Stanley Hotel Tour
Stanley Hotel Tour
1,177 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
5. Re: What to do when it rains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2018, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park