We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in August

OK
Level Contributor
218 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in August

We're going to a concert at Red Rocks Aug 23rd and I'm trying to convince my husband to go early and spend a few days in EP before heading back to DEN for the concert :)

I've done a little research and see there are some breweries (that would please him) and wineries (that would please me). We are not hikers so, we're not interested in that. We've been to RMNP before (a long time ago) and he's not really interested in going there again.

So, besides beer, wine and shopping, what else is there to do? We love live music (blues, rock are our fav)

I think 3 nights would be ideal but, he thinks he would be bored for that long LOL So, I might be able to get him to agree to 2 if I can find enough things that might interest him.

We'll be driving so, what would be the best/most scenic route? He's afraid of heights and sometimes the windy mountain roads make him quesy ;)

TIA for any suggestions.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in August

Why Estes Park?

IMO I don't think Estes Park is where you want to be for what you want to do. It's going to be crowded with tourists, and the breweries and nightlife are nothing to write home about compared to a town like Boulder.

I'd suggest staying in Boulder and maybe doing a day trip to Estes Park. You can drive there via the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway and loop back on US 36.

https://www.bouldercoloradousa.com/

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
OK
Level Contributor
218 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in August

Thank you. We had passed through Estes Park when we went to RMNP and it looked like a quaint little place that I would like to visit again.

I may look into Boulder instead.

Thank you again for the insight!

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in August

You're welcome. Nothing against Estes Park - I love that town. Just not as much at the height of tourist season!

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in August

Usually, the crowds in Estes Park thin some by August 20 or so because kids are back in school or headed back to school. Alas, we have mentioned that fact often enough here on the forum that some of the lodging businesses in Estes Park are reporting that their reservations for the end of August are booking more quickly than the beginning of August.

I have to agree with Babalax. If you have no interest in RMNP, Estes Park may not be the best match for what you want to do. The brewery and distillery options in Estes Park have expanded in recent years and several of them are getting really good reviews here on TA. Several of the restaurants in town have live music on weekends. You can check the Estes Park Calendar.

www.visitestespark.com/events-calendar/

Other things to do in Estes Park include touring the ghostly and historic Stanley Hotel and visiting their famous Cascades Whiskey Bar, horseback riding, Lazy B Chuckwagon Dinner and Show, visiting the Estes Park Museum, MacGregor Ranch Museum or Fall River Hydroplant Museum, taking an off road tour in Roosevelt National Forest, watching glass blowing demonstrations at the two glass galleries in town, strolling the Riverwalk, riding the Aerial Tram, bowling, movies, mini-golf, boating on Lake Estes, disc golf, golf, fly fishing or fishing, testing your skills at the Open Air Adventure Park and stargazing at the Estes Park Memorial Observatory (reserve ahead).

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
The Estes Park Resort
The Estes Park Resort
500 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Stanley Hotel
Stanley Hotel
2,904 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
409 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Open Air Adventure Park
Open Air Adventure Park
155 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
5. Re: Things to do in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2018, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park