We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

West Monroe, LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

Hello. We are first time travelers to Colorado and were planning to travel the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway from DEN to Estes Park this Tuesday. With the recent snowfall, we are wondering if we should take an alternate route. Also, we will be renting a small SUV for this trip at the airport, and I am hoping they will let us know if we need an alternate form of transportation. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,098 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

The roads are fine and dry. The Peak to Peak is not a seasonal road, it's well maintained and well-traveled. The 18" of snow received at my house yesterday has mostly melted already. Sun power!

West Monroe, LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

Thanks so much, Babalax. I'm much relieved to hear this news. Your info is most helpful!

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,098 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

You are welcome.

For this area and Estes Park tomorrow should have temps in the upper 40s with a chance of rain. You may see snow falling on the peaks.

I saw your other thread and it looks you'll also be in Denver and Colorado Springs. The weather should be very nice this week - the forecast is calling for temperatures in the 70s.

If you are not driving I-70 west into the mountains (past Golden) you shouldn't have any issues with travel conditions. Don't let the car rental company try to tell you that you "need" 4WD.

Also, you will not have to drive on the toll road (E-470) so you will not need a toll tag.

Have a great trip!

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,098 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

Something to consider... last time I drove the Peak to Peak south to Black Hawk there were signs for road construction. I read this info on the CDOT website:

CO 119 Southbound / Northbound Black Hawk/Central City Area (Milemarker 0-23).

Road work Monday-Thursday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Delays possible. Beginning April 10.

I haven't driven it since then so I don't know what the situation is. If you have no interest in Black Hawk I would consider driving to Boulder (US 36) and taking Boulder Canyon (Hwy 119) to Nederland to pick up the Peak to Peak Hwy. Boulder Canyon is a very scenic drive.

boca raton
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

I have found this page and I have a million questions, so let me start with..... I arrive at Denver and am driving to Estes. I am assuming I will be taking the Peak to Peak?? any specific directions?? special places to stop along the way? we have plenty of time. We will be arriving June 9th and I have no idea what to pack! We are coming from South Florida LOL!!!

Any advice for must do's in Estes? off the beaten path, Places to eat? Rafting? horseback riding. Then we are off to Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak after a night at Red Rocks. Told you I had many many questions.

Thanks in advance!!!! We can't wait for the fresh Air!!!!!!!!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
13,111 posts
140 reviews
6. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

MELISSA L, Welcome to the Colorado Forum. It is always best to start your own thread. Provided you leave the box checked, TripAdvisor will notify you when you have replies. When you add a question to a topic started by another person, they get an email from TripAdvisor telling them that they have a new reply when in fact they do not. Go to this link, click on "Ask a question" and copy and paste your question from here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60945…

Most of the answers you seek are already on the Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park Forums but we will either provide those answers again or give you links to other posts with the information you need.

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,098 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

Hi Melissa and welcome.

You really should start your own thread with your questions rather than tacking them on to this post.

There's a LOT of information already in the Estes Park forum about what to see/do, where to eat, etc.

Please do a little research by reading through the posts.

Edit: Surprise, surprise we were posting at the same time - LOL!

Edited: 12 May 2017, 09:55
8. Re: Peak to Peak Byway to Estes Park still an option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2018, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park
Recent Conversations