We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recreation passes

Bend,OR
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Recreation passes

We will be visiting the area for several days in July and wondered what recreation pass(es) we need to visit/park at state parks and national forest trailheads. I presume there is a separate fee/pass for the redwood national park as well???

We are staying at a Patrick creek campground, where is the most convenient place to purchase the pass(es)? Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Recreation passes

The state parks have entry fees. The national park does not.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,562 posts
1,111 reviews
2. Re: Recreation passes

Redwood NP is unique in that it does not have clear boundaries, gates, nor entrance fees. Highway 101 goes right through it. It's also sort of 'mixed in' with some State Parks -- the official technical name is Redwood National and State Parks. There are many areas that are free.

State Parks that charge for day use:

Patrick's Point -- $8/car

Gold Bluffs Beach (Fern Canyon) -- $8/car(?)

Standish-Hickey (I think?) Farther south near Richardson Grove

I believe those are the only ones where there is a charge. This link will show you all the State Parks available to visit in the redwoods:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723

If you're heading farther south to the Mendocino area, many of those SP's have a day use fee.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 06:59
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,562 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: Recreation passes

>> There are many areas that are free.<<

That should say...

Just about all areas are free :-)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Recreation passes

A few years ago national park passes were accepted at the three state parks within Redwood National Park. There was a state budget crisis at the time and the NPS took over some of management. However, that crisis is now over and I see no mention of NPS passes being accepted in the state parks this year.

Washington, Michigan
Level Contributor
133 posts
5. Re: Recreation passes

From Nps.gov Redwoods site:

“As of 2018, National Park passes are honored at the Jedediah Smith, Del Norte Coast, and Prairie Creek Redwoods State Parks only.”

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Recreation passes

Hi centraloregon_mom

The national forest in California are managed different than the national forest in Oregon where, as you know, you need a northwest forest pass to park for almost any where in the various forests. That is not so for the forest service lands in northern California, no fee for trail head parking. There are day use fees collected at the campground in Jed Smith but if your not using the campground or that specific day use area no fees are needed for the trail heads along howland hill road or 101. In Prairie creek there is no day use fee for the trail heads on Newton B Drury parkway or around the visitor center but once again if you use the day use area at the campground there is a day use fee. There a numerous day use areas that no fees are needed. Take a look at this map.

https:/…The-Official-Map-of-RNSP-11x14.pdf

All the day use areas indicated are free except the two I mentioned above and the one at Gold Bluff beach.If you buy a day use at one state park it is good for that day at all the parks. The the most convenient place to purchase the pass(es) for you would be Jed Smith campground. You might be able to get one at the Hiouchi Information center but I am not sure that is the case.

Have Fun

GP

Reply to: Recreation passes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crescent City