We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel rate changed upon arrival?

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Hotel rate changed upon arrival?

We were about to book a room through Trip Advisor with the Best Western in crescent city. We called their reservation line to clarify he room type and we were told by the reservation agent that the room rate may not be honored by the hotel when booked through a third party website like Trip Advisor. We called the hotel directly and they verified that yes, they have the choice to charge us more if they wish, even if we prepaid a non refundable rate. They said they usually honor the rate but not always. Is this common practice in this area? I’m rather concerned about all my reservations now. I travel a lot throughout the Midwest and Mountain west region and have never heard of this! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

5 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
1. Re: Hotel rate changed upon arrival?

They let you know....

If you book via Best Western site and not a 3rd party, then your rate is guaranteed.

In general, changing the rates is NOT the case with lodging, but its a risk factor.

In general, prices won't change much for Crescent City area - but it would be good to know what day you booked such as Memorial Day week-end. Those types of factors might influence the rate that they normally charge.

I've had a couple of very far North (i.e. Redwood country) exercise some flexibility in rates.

Its rare though.

Edited: 06 May 2018, 02:49
Level Contributor
6,725 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Hotel rate changed upon arrival?

No it's not common practice and I don't see any reviews of that hotel with guests complaining about that happening, and we certainly don't see many tripadvisor posts complaining about any other hotels doing it. It sounds like some clerk was just trying to get you to book direct.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
1 review
3. Re: Hotel rate changed upon arrival?

Redwood hotels seem rather...flexible. I think it’s lack of competition.

I’ve never had someone change a rate on arrival. But during the eclipse, a few Oregon hotels reportedly cancelled a bunch of reservations made through third party websites. Motivation: they could rebook the hotels directly with people who were willing to pay any amount for an eclipse room. As a result, probably a lot of summer budget travelers were without lodging for that night. Unless they were willing to pay 4-6 times the standard rate, that is. So I would book direct and have the rate in writing if you go over a holiday weekend.

Edited: 06 May 2018, 04:33
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Hotel rate changed upon arrival?

Thank you all for your quick feedback. We’re traveling through there on the 26th-27th of May then checking out Memorial Day and continuing down the coast a bit. We’re trying to get the big PNW vacation in before the oldest graduates and heads off to college. Been promising redwoods and oceans for about 15 years now so I’d hate to get stuck sleeping in the car on the long awaited vacation... although the family stories could be legendary after that! Haha

Thanks again! I’ll take the safe route. Not sure if I want those kinds of family vacation horror stories to haunt me for the next several decades.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,549 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: Hotel rate changed upon arrival?

>>We’re traveling through there on the 26th-27th of May <<

Okay, that is the long 3-4 day Memorial Weekend. At many, many lodgings -- everywhere, not just Crescent City -- motels will increase their prices.

Also, it is not uncommon for motels to require a two or three night minimum stay for major Holiday weekends.

Again, that could be anywhere; the minimum stay for a Holiday is fairly common all along the Oregon coast.

I suspect that the clerks at this particular lodging are told to say that when anybody books over a major holiday weekend. In my mind, it's kind of "trickery" if you did book via any 3rd party with a non-refundable price. The price you booked should be the price, not matter what.

I would not worry about other motels doing that. However, I would be tempted to *not* stay at that BW (Northwoods Inn) simply because of what you were told!

>>But during the eclipse, a few Oregon hotels reportedly cancelled a bunch of reservations made through third party websites.<<

Yes, there were a couple in Lincoln City. If memory serves, they were under the same ownership. The guests had prebooked long in advance and the 3rd party reservation folks didn't have a clue about the coming eclipse. (Why would a clerk based in... somewhere far away... know about the eclipse a year ahead of time?)

After a big hue and cry, again if I'm remembering correctly, the motels rescinded the cancellations and gave the original guests the original rate. National media attention makes all the difference sometimes ;-)

Ironically, we directly in the path of totality on the Oregon coast saw very few visitors! There were empty motel rooms in Newport, Lincoln City and elsewhere. Lots of folks went or stayed inland so they had a better chance of seeing the eclipse without clouds ;-)

Reply to: Hotel rate changed upon arrival?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crescent City