We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Del Norte Redwoods?

US
Level Contributor
124 posts
38 reviews
Del Norte Redwoods?

Can someone please give me a quick overview of Del Norte Redwoods State Park? On a map. it looks like it goes SW from Klamath. -- It is a nice scenic drive? Can you recommend a short hike? (less than a mile?) Is there a visitor Center? When I look at the TripAdvisor photos, there are several along the coast, but the road on the map, does not look like it goes along the coast. Thank you for your help.

Footsox

3 replies to this topic
gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Del Norte Redwoods?

Hi Footsox1

Del Norte Redwoods State Park starts a few miles south of Crescent City and extends down to around the Trees of Mystery. It is the least user friendly park in this area. No visitor center. There is hiking but nothing I would recommend. In your short time here you are better off down in Prairie Creek. Highway 101 goes right through the park. You will be right above the coast on 101 for about 6 miles. There are stunning views from a few pull outs southbound just before false Klamath cove.

Have Fun

GP

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,551 posts
1,111 reviews
2. Re: Del Norte Redwoods?

I agree with gp1 above.

There is only one road in this section of California. 101 is it!

>>You will be right above the coast on 101 for about 6 miles.<<

I call this stretch of 101 "the edge of the world", LOL. On a clear day, you can see for many miles out over the ocean, and the road is *right* on the edge of the cliff. It's a constant headache for CalTrans (the state road dept) as the road slips and dips with earth movement, but hey at least it keeps work crews steadily employed ;-)

Treasure Coast of...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,448 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Del Norte Redwoods?

I would go to Prairie Creek State Park just North Of Orick. It has some great trails to hick with lots to see. Lots of Elk in that area, so keep a eye out for them.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Reply to: Del Norte Redwoods?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crescent City