We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Magnolia, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

I have received conflicting reports on how long it takes to drive from Salt Lake to Jackson Hole. AAA & Mapquest say 5.5 to 6 hrs. Is this correct? I thought I had read on these forums that it was about 3.5 to 4 hrs. What route would you take? Anything not to miss on the way. Any good places to eat along the way? Is this a scenic drive ?

Thanks

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

There are 3-4 ways you can travel between SLC and Jackson Hole. They all take between 5 and 6 hours, even if you drive fast. You'll run into mountains no matter which way you go. My favorite route is I-15 to Brigham City; then Hwy 89 through Logan Canyon to Bear Lake (stop for fresh raspberry shakes, which are famous here). From Bear Lake drive north through Montpelier, Idaho and Afton, Wyoming to Jackson Hole. And, yes, it is very scenic!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

No, it's 5-6 hours. Same drivingtime to Jackson or West Yellowstone. Both are scenic drives.

Tet

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

If you go up through Idaho it is more interstate highway driving, less scenic but faster (although not MUCH faster). If you go through Wyoming you're doing more back roads with the resulting slowing in little towns then speeding back up between towns. But it's prettier. My hubby hates the two lane roads and would rather go like hell on the interstate as far as he can and have a shorter drive on backroads. But if you don't mind scenic road driving, go through Wyoming.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

Do a search on the Utah forum, probably using the word 'Jackson' would suffice, to find multiple previous threads on this topic. The three routes I've actually timed all took between 4:45 and 5:00, just driving time. The fastest was via Evanston, WY, Randolph, UT, Afton, WY, etc. The other two were via Soda Springs, ID and Idaho Falls, ID. Of these three, I prefer the Evanston route for the speed and quick exit from the SLC metro area. The route via Idaho Falls is nice for the trip over Teton Pass, but the I-15 portion is noticeably less scenic than other routes. Any route will be pretty scenic though, compared to the flat lands.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
264 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

I drove 89 through Logan Canyon/Bear Lake going from Jackson to SLC last week, and it took 5 1/2 hours with a couple of stops for pictures and a raspberry shake. Hope this helps.

6. Re: Drive from SLC to Jackson Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 01:20