We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

We are staying at Grand Wailea for 8 days beginning May 31. I have not planned anything for the entire stay (outside of making a reservation at Mama’s for Saturday night).

We will have a Jeep, and I’m trying to determine the following:

1:) Should we look for off site parking? We don’t mind walking.

2:) Best local (walkable) places for morning coffee. We love good coffee so this will be a priority.

3:) We’d like to pick up a few groceries when we arrive. Where’s the best place to do that?

4:) what’s the 1 thing we should do while we are there?

15 replies to this topic
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

Hi,

There isn't any off-site parking nearby. There's a beach parking lot next door, but no overnight parking. If cost is a concern, perhaps rent a vehicle that is less expensive than a jeep to help offset the parking cost.

Island Gourmet in the Shops of Wailea will be convenient for a few groceries ... there's also Times, Foodland and Safeway supermarkets in Kihei.

Re the #1 thing - it will vary depending on interests and ages/abilities. The Road to Hana is very popular scenic drive, but it's an all day event with about 7 hours of driving. Haleakala summit is also at the top of many people's lists - altitude can be a factor for some though. I'd recommend doing a day trip to W. Maui. Getting out on the water (e.g. snorkel or sunset cruise) is fun, and going to a luau is a highlight for many.

Enjoy :)

Level Contributor
525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

MN - there is a Starbucks in the Marriott next door to the GW. Nice 5 minute walk along the ocean in the morning to get your coffee.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

No self parking anywhere at or near GW, valet $30 per night... used to be those days are gone

You can also walk or drive to the Shops at Wailea, validated parking

Resurants, Island Gourmet deli, ABC store, shops etc, Lapperts Ice Cream, Maui Dive Shop etc

The GW sits along a row of several resorts and condos in a resort area.

Full shopping is in Kihei about 10 to 15 min away. It is a beach town, stores, shopping centers, gas stations, restaurants etc

Edited: 15 May 2018, 01:30
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
565 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

Fronting the Grand wailea (ocean side) is the Wailea beach walk which stretches from the Fairmont at Polo beach all the way to the Andaz and then a walk on Keawakapu Beach to the Mana Kai. I believe most of the hotels has a coffee shop along the walk, so grab a coffee and enjoy a morning stroll.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 01:59
CA
Level Contributor
140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

The beach path that people are suggesting is a gorgeous walk. For solid morning coffee, the best banana bread I've ever had, and awesome cinnamon roles, I highly recommend walking to the Whale's Tale, which is in front of the Marriott, right on the beach path. There are several tables right there, where you can enjoy your coffee and treats just a few feet from the water.

In terms of actual quality, my favorite coffee in the area is Coffee Bean at the Shops at Wailea, BUT, the ambiance isn't nearly the same -- and no banana bread. There is also a Honolulu Coffee at the Shops, which is also very good, but, IMHO, not as good as Coffee Bean. (You could also get your coffee at Coffee Bean of HC, and hit Whale's Tale on the way back, because the Shops and Marriott are very close to each other.)

If you are getting coffee every day, consider buying a reusable coffee mug at ABC or even Starbucks. It makes a great souvenir and reminder of your morning strolls, plus keeps a title trash out of the bins.

My answer for No. 1 thing to do is relaxing on the beach and cooling off with in the ocean, preferably with a boogie board. (It used to include some hammock time, but the resorts seem to have purged themselves of hammocks. Seemed like Marriott had the last one, but, as of April, it, too, was gone.) :-(

You can rent boogie boards for the week at Maui Dive (for about $15 each) at the Shops at Wailea and keep them in your room, for use whenever you feel like it.

Walking the entire beach path at sunset is also a must do. If you do this on a Luau night, you have the added benefit of music and a show you can steal glimpses of as you pass by.

Kansas
Level Contributor
244 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

Do a snorkel/sailing trip with Trilogy!!!

Best trip ever

Csbm

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

Tripping2Maui has the best answers!!!

One other thing that I love is Mai Tais and appetizers at Monkeypod Kitchen, a restaurant in Wailea, sitting at the bar talking and making new friends :)

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

1:) Should we look for off site parking? We don’t mind walking. You will have to park at the hotel, there is no other overnight parking nearby.

2:) Best local (walkable) places for morning coffee. We love good coffee so this will be a priority. Walk to The Shops at Wailea. Honolulu Coffee has VERY good coffee (100% kona, peabody, pour overs,etc..)

3:) We’d like to pick up a few groceries when we arrive. Where’s the best place to do that? Safeway in Kihei or Target near the airport. Safeway Grocery Store, 277 Piikea Ave, Kihei

4:) what’s the 1 thing we should do while we are there? I'll give you 1 nice morning: Haleakala Sunrise at the crater (book before you head to Hawaii), have breakfast at Kula Bistro one your way down, then stop at Ali'i Kula Lavender. Here are all the links to what I just mentioned:

https:/…sunrise-and-sunset.htm

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kula-bistro-kula (get the pancakes)

https://www.aliikulalavender.com/ (do the guided walking tour)

Level Contributor
38,840 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

You will love The Grand Wailea! You might want to plan a drive on the Road To Hana one day. We enjoyed lounging at the adult only pool there daily, so relaxing. The Feast @ Lele is a great luau if you want to attend one during your stay. we enjoyed meals at Ferraro's @ the nearby Four Seasons Resort, Monkeypod, Ruth's Chris, Hotel Wailea and the restaurants at the resort. They do offer a town car service for guests, we used it a couple of times for our dinners out.

We also enjoyed going to nearby Kihei for the Farmer's Market and Sugar Beach Bake Shop. Kihei has Paia Fish Market for good food in a casual ambiance. :)

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area

Another vote for Whales Tails. We stayed at Wailea beach villas and went there every morning for coffee. and the beach path walk is awesome its a great time, get out early before it gets crowded if you can. If you are like me, and live central time zone, getting up early in Maui is not a problem

Reply to: Help with multiple travel suggestions near Grand Wailea area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted