We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo in South Dakota / GNP

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Solo in South Dakota / GNP

I'm passing thru today on my way to Montana...should arrive in rapid city by 2 pm.

Was going to camp in Custer. Drive on the scenic loop in Badlands. Hit Keystone and Mt Rushmore before heading to GNP

How much time should I spend here--a 2nd night? What is in Keystone and Hill City worth seeing? How should I divide my time over next 24 hours?

Also--any must do's along the road to GNP?

Thanks!

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo in South Dakota / GNP

Do Badlands on your way into RC as its an hour to the East and has an easy scenic loop rd with many observation points/stops. Exit off I-90 at Interior and follow Badlands Loop to Wall, SD. Get off the boardwalk at the Door/Windows Trail.

Keystone is where Mt Rushmore is located. Crazy Horse Memorial is located between Hill City and Custer (the town). Custer State Park offers a lot to see, including the Wildlife Loop known for the bison, prairie dogs, deer and more. Also the Needles Hwy and Iron Mountain Rd with the tunnels and pigtail bridges.

Mt Rushmore can take several hours to explore, same with Crazy Horse if you are interested in the museum information. I enjoyed the separate bus ride to the base of the mountain. Both places have excellent video presentations as well. As does the visitors center at the Badlands. It is also worth seeing Mt Rushmore's evening lighting/flag lowering ceremony at dusk.

Custer State Park can take a full day, also stop and see Sylvan Lake, take the walk around for the views within the park, just beautiful area.

There are also 2 national park run caves that offer tours if interested.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 02:22
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo in South Dakota / GNP

Thanks!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo in South Dakota / GNP

Great info from Iowagirl! I would add at least another day to your time in SD if you can. Many feel it's an area they can pass through quickly enroute to somewhere else, but there's enough in the Black Hills to keep people going for a week or even more.

4. Re: Solo in South Dakota / GNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 14:18