We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Badlands on the way to Keystone

Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Badlands on the way to Keystone

We are heading to Keystone for a night then touring Mt Rushmore area, Crazy Horse and Deadwood for the second night before heading to Cody. Should we take a scenic route thru the Badlands National Park before heading to Keystone? Open to suggested routes and must see/do things. Thanks!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

With limited time, I'd stick to the Badlands scenic route off I90. Get off at exit 131 and take Rt. 240 (scenic loop) up to Wall. This will put you back on I90 so you can head to Keystone. The scenic route will take you to all the highlights in the park, including many overlooks.

Have a great trip, and let us know if you have more questions.

Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

Great! Thanks !

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

Make a not too long detour to Devils Tower on the way to Cody and to add to your other post: never miss Beartooth hw and also stunning Chief Joseph Hw. Hope you will take some time to explore Buffalo Bill museums in Cody and attend the nite rodeo. (suppose you are coming before september).

Tet

Level Contributor
66 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

I will be driving from Green Bay to keystone in a couple of weeks. I woul like to see badlands, Mount Rushmore, wall drug, alpine slide, and Custer park. Could anyone help me with an itinerary. What to do first?! What is close to ether what is not! Thanks for any help.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

Ejpjap,

More contributors will see your question if you post a new question, FYI.

How much time will you have in the Black Hills total? Depending on your drive schedule, stop and see the Badlands and Wall Drug as you enter the area (possibly after overnighting in Sioux Falls or elsewhere?)

Custer State Park could take an entire day with the scenic drives of the Wildlife Loop Rd, Iron Mountain Rd (which leads to Keystone where Mt Rushmore and the Alpine Slide are located) and the Needles Hwy. Mt Rushmore takes a few hours to explore.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

Ejpjap,

Yes, we will need to know how much travel time you have to make an itinerary for you. Please post a new thread with more details, and we'd be glad to help you more.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
24 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

This is definitely worth a stop. We only allowed a couple of hours, wish we'd had more - there are a lot of stunning viewpoints and walks just on the Badlands scenic route off I90, and we didn't have time to see them all. I would allow half a day if you can.

8. Re: Badlands on the way to Keystone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 14:16