We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Keystone - Wildlife Loop Itinerary Questions

Delaware...
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Staying in Keystone - Wildlife Loop Itinerary Questions

I've been reading through many forum posts with various itineraries & have noticed that the suggested itinerary for the Iron Mt Road is south to north, with the Wildlife Loop in the am.

We will be staying in Keystone. What's the best route to drive to the Wildlife Loop and then head north? I'm having a hard time with my map & SD travel guide - looks like we might need to double-drive Iron Mt Road? Or is it best to swing out on 16/385 and then cut east on 16A at Custer City, looping down to 87?

Our first day was planned for Wildlife Loop, Iron Mt, and Mt Rushmore plus Mt Rushmore area tourist attractions (slide, etc.). I have a separate day planned with Jewel Cave, Needles Hwy etc., and Crazy Horse, if that makes any difference at all.

We are VERY flexible in our plans. We have 4 nights & 3 full days to explore the general Black Hills area, with a separate day planned for Devil's Tower and Spearfish.

Thanks for any help & suggestions!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Staying in Keystone - Wildlife Loop Itinerary Questions

You could go over 244 heading west to 385/16 and go by Crazy Horse. Once you reach 16/16A head east to Rt. 87 S and pick up the Wildlife Loop. Drive around to 16A and the Game Lodge and head right toward Iron Mt. Rd.

Another option might be to leave Keystone by way of Rt. 40 east and then head south on 79, the Heartland Expy. Take 36 heading west to the Wildlife Loop. From the loop, head north on 87 past Blue Bell Lodge, and then head east on 16a to Iron Mt. Rd.

Either of these options would alleviate the double driving of Iron Mt Rd. 753 is a good connector road between the Needles Hwy and Iron Mt. Rd and takes you past the Black Hills Playhouse. It works well if you get pressed for time.

Delaware...
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Staying in Keystone - Wildlife Loop Itinerary Questions

Awesome! Thank you - that was exactly what I needed to know.

3. Re: Staying in Keystone - Wildlife Loop Itinerary Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 15:17