We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
318 posts
28 reviews
2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

Our family of 5 will finish up a long road trip (GTNP, Yellowstone, & GNP) taking in Mt. Rushmore on our way back to Oklahoma. We will leave Sheridan, WY stopping off at Devils Tower (just drive by for pictures or do we need to drive all the way to the base?) and Heading to the Black Hills. Do we need to try to see the Badlands? I was planning on the following: Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave & Custer SP. Our kids will be 14, 13 & 10. Short hikes, animals, nature, not really into crowds or touristy areas. Looks like Hill City or Keystone to spend two nights, then we will head out for a long drive back to OK. Our trip will be mid July 2014.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 15:08
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,378 posts
61 reviews
11. Re: 2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

Very good question, Kren. I will be curious to hear if anyone knows.

Carold, it's fine that you don't agree with this. You don't have to feed them if you don't want to, but Kren is right. They will approach your car whether you want them to or not. They will simply move on if you don't feed them, which is certainly your right. We here on the forums encourage less harmful foods (fruits/veggies) rather than chips and lord knows what else. You ask why people aren't satisfied just observing and insist on interacting with the burros. If you would see these guys/gals in action, I think you'd realize it's the other way around. They have been conditioned to interact with humans, and no one is going to change that at this point.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
925 posts
51 reviews
12. Re: 2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

I have seen this type of behavior in action in Red Rock Canyon outside of Las Vegas. At least there the wildlife officials are proactive with signage asking people not to feed the burros.

To me there is nothing cute or fun about animals begging for food. It's just kind of sad.

To each their own.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 14:55
KCK
Level Contributor
875 posts
28 reviews
13. Re: 2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

If nothing else, I do agree with your last sentence

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
14. Re: 2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

We just drove through CSP yesterday and didn't see any burros. Is that because we weren't officially on the wildlife loop.? We did see bison very near the road and plenty of deer,

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
15. Re: 2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

Its all a matter of luck and timing to see any animal. Some people stop at the Ranger center to ask where the herds were last seen. I saw the burros at the sound end of the Wildlife Loop near the prairie dog area, others have mentioned seeing them on Iron Mountain Rd as well....

16. Re: 2 nights in keystone area, ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 16:18