We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

keystone to sheridan

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
keystone to sheridan

We will be driving from Keystone to Shridan Wy for a one night stay (4hrs?) . Planning on stopping at Devil's Tower for a few hours. Is there enough time to tour Spearfish Canyon

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: keystone to sheridan

As long as you get a fairly early start, I think you will be fine. You can do Spearfish in a little over an hour or so as long as you don't do any heavy duty hiking. Devil's Tower can be seen in about 2 hours or so. You could certainly make Sheridan by nightfall.

Have a great trip.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: keystone to sheridan

Thanks

Looking at the route from Devils Tower to Sheridan i see two possibilities

Rte 90 or Rte 14. Rte 14 looks to be about an hour quicker. Is one mor scenic than the other

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: keystone to sheridan

I have not been to Sheridan, so I don't have an opinion of which route is more scenic. I did look at Google Maps, and it looks like I90 is an hour quicker, rather than Rt. 14. I would guess that 14 might be more scenic than I90, but I have no 1st hand knowledge. I gave you my 1st answer based on distances between the locations.

With a full day, I'd probably take I90, but it's certainly an individual preference.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: keystone to sheridan

I would stick with I-90 to ensure that you have enough time at Devils Tower (I assume you will visit Spearfish Canyon first).

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: keystone to sheridan

Yes. Spearfish Canyon first. We are driving from Keystone to Sheridan

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: keystone to sheridan

We drove a similar route - GreyBull to Devil's Tower, via Route 14 then I-90.

The first part of Route 14 was very scenic, but after a while it was slow and winding. If the rest of Route 14 is anything like what we drove, then I would avoid it.

The I-90 stretch between Sheridan to Moorcroft is not very scenic at all.

We were going at the or slightly above the speed limit (75-80 mph) and it still felt long for us.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: keystone to sheridan

Agree with above poster I90 boring drive but you will be on it for only 2 hours or so. No scenery on this stretch. Barren country here..

Deadwood maybe visit the Mt Moriah cemetery up on the steep hill where Wild Bill and Calamity Jane buried side by side.

If you have a chance go to Hill City and dine at the Fabulous Alpine Inn.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: keystone to sheridan

A visit to the Mt Moriah cemetary sounds interesting. Any chance i can fit that in and still do Spearfish Canyon and Devils Tower on my way to Sheridan

Our other 2 days will involve a trip Badlands NP and Custer State park. Probably not possible to Deadwood on those days as they are in opposite directions

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: keystone to sheridan

Hi Quiller!

Yes. try to fit in Wild Bill (Dead man's hand)Hickok and Calamity Jane. Western Icons. Do yourself a favor and drive the scenic stretches from Keystone via Black Hills Parkway and Spearfish Canyon and continue on 85 in the Belle Fourch direction and take 34 and 24 to Devils Tower. It can take a while driving this way. Count on some 4 hours with some stops on your way. As the other posters have said head to I90 from Devils Tower and take this interstate to Sheridan.

Most scenic stretches of 14 are in the Cody direction. 14A being most scenic but also twisty and steep. Have a great trip!

Tet

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: keystone to sheridan

Returned from our 16 day and would like to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions. We had an excellent time. ended up driving around 2700 miles without major incident. We did have bird fly out out of the praire and hit our windshield dead on but didn't break it.

We did have a scary drive over the Trail Ridge highway. Just as we reached Milner Pass the fog rolled in and we had to continue to Estes Park with practically no visibility. They closed the road a few hours later.

For those of you with insomnia I'm sending a link to our pictures. Have only captioned a few so far.

https://picasaweb.google.com/quiller7