We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need opinions on living in/near Springfield IL?

1 post
Need opinions on living in/near Springfield IL?

Doing research on living in/near Springfield IL. I have found lots of comments from 10 years ago, but I know a lot can change in 10 years in a good or bad way. What is the cost of housing like? What is the crime rate like? Whats the weather like? Is there lots of outdoor things to do? etc etc etc. Our kids are grown so we are not concerned about the schools and this would most likely be a temp move for only 3 years.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Need opinions on living in/near Springfield IL?

I suggest you contact a realtor regarding prices. Crime rates depend upon what part of the city you are in, but I generally don't feel a need to be looking over my shoulder. Weather is typical midwest. Hot, humid summers. Nice spring and fall. Chilly to cold winters. Snow, not too bad most of the time, but occasionally enough to snarl traffic and cause schools to close.

For outdoor things, Springfield itself is not a recreational mecca, but there are bike paths in the city and a very nice railtrail southeast of the city in Rochester. There is boating on the lake. There are a few state parks nearby. And of course, the Lincoln sites are great even after you've seen them over and over.

The hospitals are excellent and St.Louis is less than 2 hours away, Chicago is 3 hours.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,346 posts
1 review
2. Re: Need opinions on living in/near Springfield IL?

city-data.com/city/Springfield-Illinois.html

This thread may get closed as not being travel-related, just as an FYI.

3. Re: Need opinions on living in/near Springfield IL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2017, 04:12
Get answers to your questions about Springfield
More Springfield Topics