We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seniors on a road trip from NJ to AZ

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
367 posts
126 reviews
Seniors on a road trip from NJ to AZ

TA has always been by bible while traveling but this TA App just doesn't measure up. That said, I need some help please.

We will be getting to Springfield Illinois on Monday May 28 and then heading for small towns on Rt 66. I know it's not an ideal day to be touring but it's how the details have worked out. What can we expect to be open by way of Lincoln highlights. How should we prioritize? I am concerned about parking and also long distance walking. DH has been suffering with a bad knee lately and will be using a cane. I was thinking to visit the tomb, the Lincoln home and maybe a museum or two. Is it worth spending another half day and going to New Salem on Tuesday? I read that some places are only open a few days a week.

Any thoughts on Route 66 sites while there and afterwards?

Thank you in advance. I will be taking notes if anyone is kind enough to make suggestions.

3 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,892 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Seniors on a road trip from NJ to AZ

visitspringfieldillinois.com/ThingsToDo/Attr… - attraction related details can be found here.

There are numerous Route 66 related websites out there. You also might want to post in the TA Road Trips forum - https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

2. Re: Seniors on a road trip from NJ to AZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2017, 13:05

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
179 reviews
3. Re: Seniors on a road trip from NJ to AZ

Springfield will likely be busy on Memorial Day but Lincoln sites are open. Your best bet is to get there early. The presidential museum is a must-see in my opinion but there's an admission charge and it'll be one of the busiest places of all. The tomb you can walk through on your own or wait on a tour. At Lincoln's home, you must wait on a tour. Personally, I'd skip New Salem, spend that extra time in Springfield so you're not in a rush to see everything.

I haven't done route 66 in years (except the Cozy Dog Drive In) so can't help with that.

Reply to: Seniors on a road trip from NJ to AZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Springfield
More Springfield Topics