We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
74 reviews
2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

Just discovered this festival's website and saw Norman Brown is scheduled! Is is wise to wait til day of to purchase tickets? Do I need to bring a lawn chair? Where can I stay that is close by or might have a shuttle to/from the festival? What else can I do in the area during the day?

Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
192 reviews
1. Re: 2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

The festival is close to downtown ( just north along the river ) at the Lewis and Clark landing, not a terrible walk from downtown - the Downtown / Old Market area hotels and the hotel attached to the Qwest center would be good choices.

The website has "" If you want to arrive at the festival without having felt like you've walked a mile, take advantage of our shuttle service. Fest fans can park free at the Gallup Campus (located North of Rick's Café) and ride the shuttle (round trip) for $3.00 per person or (one-way) for $2.00 per person."" Not sure if the hotels will have a shuttle. That would be a pretty cheap cab ride.

I am not sure about lawn chairs etc you might want to contact them via the website. Tickets are cheaper in advance.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: 2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

Thanks! I am currently considering the the Courtyard downtown, the Hilton Garden Inn, the Hilton, or the Hampton Inn & Suites. Any thoughts?

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
176 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: 2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

We have stayed at all four, and we hopefully will again!

The Homewood Suites is new and very roomy but it is longer walk than the others if that was what you had in mind. It is over 1.5 miles from the Hampton to the river where the festival is located. From the Hilton, Courtyard, Garden Inn it is about 1/2 mile.

In the past we have had the hotel shuttle drop us off then we walked back. The Hampton & both Hiltons share a shuttle, I don't know if Courtyard has one.

We have not been to this Festival but to many of other events and festivals downtown and we always have a good time!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: 2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

I've been to this festival a few years back. Really enjoyed it. If you take a look at some of the pics on the gallery portion of the website (specifically pics 5, 7, and 8) you'll get an idea of the setup.

Bring a lawn chair and setup shop for a day (or evening of jazz and blues). If you really wanted to get a front row "seat" then just get there in the afternoon sometime. Whenever they have music down there, it's always plenty loud, so anywhere on the landing is fine as far as loudness goes.

You're fine buying tickets day of. Unfortunately, I don't think it will sell out. Omahan's are spoiled with a the monthly free "Playing with Fire" jazz night at the landing, which is pretty good entertainment, so it's sometimes tough to spend that $25 to $40. Just my two cents. Enjoy. Prepare for hot weather though. When we were there it was a scorcher and nobody really showed up for the Sat afternoon bands which was a shame because I thought they were better than the nightly headliners.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: 2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't think we are attending after all. I found airtran tix to texas for cheap and we are now seriously looking at Corpus Chirsti Beach.

Again, thanks for the info!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
192 reviews
6. Re: 2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

Omaha or the beach,,,, Omaha or the beach,,,, Hmmmm..

LOL - have a great time anyway!

7. Re: 2009 Omaha Jazz & Blues fest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 16:22
Get answers to your questions about Omaha
Recent Conversations