We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

Queenstown
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

Hi

We are two couples arriving to Vancover May 2012 and wish to travel to Anchorage on the Marine Highway Ferrys. We do not want a Cruise Ship. Our time is approx 12 days. We live in New Zealand and have been finding it hard to get good advice on places to stay overnight, hotels to stay in overnnight, choosing what places to stay and how long, mixing staying on the ferry overnight and on land. We also asked for a flight Anchorage to Dutch Harbour and quoted $900.00 - seems a bit steep - or is it?

From Anchorage we will overland to Fort Nelson where our son works. (He is not familiar with this area so no info from him)

Any assistance / advice for the four Kiwis would be greatly appreciated.

Blair.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

You didn't indicate which ports you want to visit so it will be impossible for anyone to suggest accomodations for you.

The easiest way to travel would be out of Bellingham WA, north of Seattle. You can ride the Alaska ferry system from Bellingham to Whittier. You'll need to visit the ferry web site to figure out how to visit the various ports in between. It can get tricky as the arrival and departure times can be early morning, or middle of the night.

This is the offical state web site for the Alaska Marine Hwy

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Some people find this site much easier to read:

http://www.akferry.com/CrossGulf.htm

The BC Ferry web site: http://www.bcferries.com/

If you're trying to decide which ports to visit, I suggest buying an Alaska travel book, like Frommers. Learn about each port and the sights & acitivities available.

I think there are a couple of trip reports coming up that involve ferry travel in the SE. They will provide some suggestions. Have you looked at the trip reports for 2012 and 2011? You'll find a link to them in the Alaska forum under Top Questions. There have been a few ferry trips aound the SE.

Are your 12 days for the travel between Vanc and Anchorage or for your entire visit?

How will you get to Fort Nelson?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

$900 from Anchorage at Dutch Harbor is actually a pretty good price. Flying within Alaska can get expensive...

What was your plan for driving from Anchorage to Fort Nelson? I doubt you'll find a car rental place that'll let you do that one way. It's a 1,300 mile drive... I'd figure at least two very long days of driving, and three would be more realistic.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

In looking at BC and Alaska maps, it might be easier to have your Fort Nelson visit in the middle of your trip rather than access it from Anchorage. You could take the ferry from Bellingham to Skagway or Haines (whichever has the best rental rate), then drive to Fort Nelson, about 600 miles.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

Great advice from Yescanada. I think you would be better off renting a car in Haines and driving from there. Traveling by ferry all the way from Vancouver can take some time and would leave you with very little time to enjoy the drive to Fort Nelson. Last time I did the drive from Anchorage I overnighted in Tok, Whitehorse and Watson Lake before arriving in Fort Nelson.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

The Kennicott leaves Bellingham every other Saturday at 6 p.m. (1800) and arrives at Whittier Thursday mornings.Going to Dutch Harbor the Tustumena goes there twice per month from Homer. The latter trip is long but very interesting and recommend flying back. Problem is the trip will require flyihg to Anchorage to connect with a flight to Homer. And, somewhere assume you will be renting a car. Note that neither Anchorage or Vancouver is served directly by ferry.

As your time is limited to 12 days including a visit to Fort Nelson, that is a challange, particularly if you were looking into Dutch Harbor.

Queenstown
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

Thank you all for your assistance / comments. we have 12 days approx to get to Fort Nelson, then will spend a week there with him, before heading back to Vancover.

Blair

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

I believe you will find it easier to go to Fort Nelson from Vancouver than from Anchorage

8. Re: Alaska / Canada Marine Highway information required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 19:17