We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage Denaili Fairbanks OR Skagway Juneau

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delhi
Level Contributor
117 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage Denaili Fairbanks OR Skagway Juneau

Hi... we are planning a 4 night trip from Houston to Alaska around 10th May.

I know the duration is too short for us to experience Alaskan beauty but we would still like to go and explore this wonderful land.

Which is a better option: Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks circuit OR Skagway & Juneau.

On google, I found the top 3 excursions in Alaska: Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan.

Your suggestions please.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage Denaili Fairbanks OR Skagway Juneau

May 10 is far too early for the regular tourist season. You'll find that most vendors and attractions aren't open yet so you should check on the details before considering a trip. You will probably find that most things you hoped to see or do, aren't available or accessible in mid May. For instance the park road in Denali doesn't open until almost the end of May so if you woudn't be able to go much further than the first 17 miles or so.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage Denaili Fairbanks OR Skagway Juneau

What are the top three excursions in Alaska? Inquiring minds want to know!

Who is "we" and if it includes children, what are the ages of the children?

I would hesitate to go to Denali that early in May since you can only drive into the park 29 miles.

In 4 nights honestly I am not sure Skagway AND Juneau is wise either. I might consider just Juneau or fly to Anchorage and head south to Seward (boat tours are great from there). Or fly to Anchorage and drive to Homer for the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival that weekend.

Four nights is a VERY short trip to Alaska, especially coming all the way from Houston.

It really depends on your interests and what you want to do/see.

PS yescanada and I were posting at the same time. I am 99% certain that the road into Denali will be open to mile 29 by May 10 (in fact they were trying to get it open to that point last weekend, but I didn't hear). In any case, I would not recommend Denali for that time of year and that short of a trip.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 03:47
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage Denaili Fairbanks OR Skagway Juneau

Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan are the most often stopped at ports by the cruise ships, so yes most popular in terms of number of visitors, because there are so many of them......

Visiting those three ports independently (as you seem to be planning) in only 4 days would be virtually impossible, unless you flew to each and spent a few hours in each.......other than that May is pretty nice weather here in south east Alaska.......either try to find a few more days to make your trip more worthwhile, or just fly into one port town......

4. Re: Anchorage Denaili Fairbanks OR Skagway Juneau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:41