We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

We are going to Alaska for one week. Which makes more sense...going from Anchorage to Denali, and then to Seward and back to Anchorage, or Anchorage to Seward, then to Denali and back to Anchorage?" We want to save the best for last!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

I was in Alaska for a week last year. I did both Denali and Seward

Saturday: Left NYC, arrived in Anchorage at 1 am

Sunday: Spent day in Anchorage, took (awful) trolly tour, hit up a museum and hurricane park

Monday: Left early. Stopped at Animal rescue center in Girdwood. Hiked to the to the top of the Harding Icefield Trail (it takes a loooong time)

Tuesday: Visited Sea Life Center. Took 3 hours Major Marine cruise (and saw a very active whale that breached 4 times). Drove back to Anchorage that night.

Wednesday: Day in Anchorage, drove to Denali that evening.

Thursday: Hiked around Savage River area in Denali

Friday: Took bus to Eilson, hiked around.

Saturday: Left Denali in AM for afternoon flight home out of Anchorage.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

I have a question about lodging in Talkeetna and Seward. Can anyone give me information on the Susitna River Lodge, or the Denali Overlook Inn for one night's stay? Which place would you recommend?

Also if anyone can comment on Sourdough Bed and Breakfast in Seward, that would also be helpful. We are looking for a place that is clean for two adults, and all of these places had good reviews.

Edited: 01 April 2012, 22:26
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

In Seward, is it Sourdough Sue's B&B or Sourdough Sunrise B&B or another?!

In Talkeetna, I personally would choose the one with the view of Mt McKinley.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

Sourdough Sunrise.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

Just one tip! Alaska is a HUGE state so map out the distances before you finalize any plans. Also factor in time to take photos along the way. I see so many people that spend their days driving and are always rushed to get to their next booked activity. Most places have a strick cancellation policy too!

Have fun!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

Thanks for that tip, but we've got the itinerary already mapped out, and have left time for everything. I can imagine what it must be like if people don't read enough or plan ahead! It's no fun having a disasterous trip. Thanks again!

17. Re: Anchorage to Denali, or Anchorage to Seward, which is better

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:17