We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

KY
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

Hello. We are taking the Alaska cruise in August and have train tickets for the Seward-Anchorage passage. The train, as I understand it, departs around 7 and is a 4 hours ride that goes straight to the airport. Our flight leaves at 8 p.m. Any suggestions about how to spend the intervening time from airport till flight? Is there early airport check-in? Thanks.

19 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

Who are you flying out of Anchorage with? Some of the airlines that only offer seasonal flights and just have one a flight a day have no one at their check-in counter until a couple of hours before the flight.

You could take a taxi downtown to wander around. Just remember you need to be back at the airport two hours before departure time.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
2. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

I don't think you can check in more than 4 hours in advance, but there is luggage storage at the airport for a small fee.

What are your interests? There are hundreds of things you could do in 6 hours.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
914 posts
163 reviews
3. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

Get a sunset meal at one of the high end skyline restaurants with a Cook Inlet View. I would recommend the Captain Cook. It is pricey.

West Valley City...
Level Contributor
166 posts
4. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

I thought that the train leaving Seward didn’t depart until 6:00pm and doesn’t arrive in Anchorage until after 10:00. Is there another train other than the Coastal Classic? You may also want to confirm what time you will be able to get off the ship once in Seward.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

Archie1281: They are taking a cruise-chartered train that leaves Seward in the morning. It's a different thing than the regular Alaska Railroad train that goes in the evening.

DionneNewOrleans: A sunset meal? In the land of the midnight sun?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,111 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

Yes there is a cruisetrain exactly as the OP described.

I suggest you store your luggage at the airport (2 options to do that), then take the public bus #40 or a taxi/uber and explore downtown a bit. Trolley tour costs $20 and takes 1 hour. Ulu Factory. Free shuttle (then admission) to the Native Heritage Center. Or rent a car from the airport for the day, You didn't tell us your date or who "we" is, but generally rental cars will cost you about $100.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,060 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

okay folks - I was not aware that the train went all the way to the airport - is that true? OP states: "4 hours ride that goes straight to the airport" I thought the depot downtown was starting point - has something changed? Please correct any ignorance on my part. :)

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
171 reviews
8. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

coalminer: I'm pretty sure those cruiseline chartered trains that leave the port in the morning goes to the airport depot. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,060 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

I checked the Alaska Railroad site, but they don't list it . . . so was curious. Thanks! :)

KY
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight

Super helpful! Thanks.

Reply to: What to do btwn train dropoff at airport & 8 pm flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted