We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five Day Trip to Anchorage with NO Car

Washington DC...
7 posts
Save Topic
Five Day Trip to Anchorage with NO Car

Hello, and thanks in advance!

I'm currently planning a trip to alaska to include 5 full days in June/July.

My largest concern is not having a vehicle while I am there. I want to go to both Denali and Seward but I'm worred about transportation options. I know about the senic train ride to Seward and I would like to do that once but it's a bit pricy.

Also, any ideas about getting around or a feasible itinerary would be awesome!

I love hiking and do so regularly here in the Appalachians and really want to do some great hikes on glaciers and in the National Parks.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
4 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Five Day Trip to Anchorage with NO Car

Well...there are certainly some great hikes available. But with only 5 days and no car, you will spend most of your time on trains or buses, not hiking. Is there any way you can add an extra day or two?

Have you booked your plane tickets? If so, what are time/dates of arrival/departure? If not, be open to flying into Anchorage and out of Fairbanks, or vice versa. That will give you a few extra hours. Also be aware that if your trip is during July 3 & 4, Seward will be a madhouse during those days as over 20,000 people descend on that tiny town to celebrate the holiday, so try to avoid that.

In fact, flying between Anchorage and Fairbanks could also give you extra time, costs only about $100 (cheaper than bus or train between the two cities). You would miss seeing the scenery between Anchorage and Denali, but the most scenic stretch is Anchorage to Seward and you'll get to see that twice.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,936 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five Day Trip to Anchorage with NO Car

Do you have your dates & times of arrival/departure? Exact times will give posters a better idea of how to help you plan such a short trip.

Anchorage, Alaska
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Five Day Trip to Anchorage with NO Car

Where are you staying in Anchorage? In town there are tons of walking and biking trails that run through the green belts. Just have to watch out for bears and moose

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five Day Trip to Anchorage with NO Car

I have to say that public transportation in and around Anchorage is very poor and even Uber is very expensive. Are you absolutely sure you can't rent a car? There are a coupld of places that have perrfectly good older carrs that they rent so the cost is considerably less than the mainstream companies. You might try Midnight Sun - friends have rented from t hem and been very satisfied with the price and the car.

http://ineedacarrental.com/

Also take a look at using some credit card points....I always forget I have them and last year had a nice sedan for a week.....basically free!

You might also think about renting a camper van....just a small one but the cost of taxis, etc. along with hotel rooms might be more than a small camper.

It really isn't easy up here without a car unless you use tour groups, etc. and, as you say, the trains are not inexpensive.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Five Day Trip to Anchorage with NO Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted