We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell service in Alaska

Dover, TN
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cell service in Alaska

We will be visiting Alaska this summer for 11 days with our teenage/young adult kids. We will be flying into Anchorage and from there going to Seward, Palmer/Matanuska Glacier, and Denali.

Husband willhave his work cell phone with AT&T and personal hotspot, I have a Verizon Mifi hotspot and me and the kids have cell phones with Sprint.

I don’t believe we will have any service with Sprint. But will we have decent enough service with AT&T and Verizon for my kids to check in with friends, post a snapchat or to Instagram? I know they will want to updaye about our trip and post on our travels. That being said they are not ones to live by their phones just decent service for a short time at some point in the day will suffice.

Also any experience using your lidging provided Wifi? Good or bad?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Matanuska Glacier
Matanuska Glacier
430 Reviews
Alaska
Denali
Denali
2,407 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
5 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,472 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell service in Alaska

Most of Alaska is very wired - so except thru mountain passes, you should have good reception, especially AT&T. :)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,941 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell service in Alaska

I've AT&T up here and my AT&T service (talk/text & data) is good everywhere you've listed except Denali. As of May 2017 it sucks when I get within the park (especially the data).

All of our cell service will falter frequently between the major communities.

There's tons of wifi at most any hotel/motel/food/tourist establishment.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell service in Alaska

From personal experience, you may as well leave your sprint phones. No 4g whatsoever and you get 300mb of roaming 3g which doesn't always work. Both at&t and Verizon have decent 4g coverage

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell service in Alaska

Thanks for this info. I was told yesterday, from someone who has lived there for 30 years, that Verizon service is very spotty. He suggested getting an inexpensive phone with a 1 month AT&T plan when I arrive for my 33 day trip.

One less thing to deal with & pay for if I don't have to do that.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,941 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell service in Alaska

If having reasonably good cell service while you are up here is important (including data), I'd recommend AT&T's prepaid plan (if your phone is unlocked). $50 gets you a month of unlimited talk/text, and 8GB of data. For $65 you can upgrade to unlimited data.

If it's not critical, you can probably get by by using local wifi signals when you are at retailers.

Reply to: Cell service in Alaska
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted