We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle to Native Museum

USA
Level Contributor
5 posts
622 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle to Native Museum

We will be in Anchorage on a HAL ship which will dock rightdowntown. This is a 14 day cruise. I have been to Alaska 2 times before on cruisesand rental cars so have seen a lot. My granddaughter will be with us and we are not doing anything about native Americans at any ports mostly wildlife and cooking and fishing. How easy or difficult is it to reach the Native American center without car. Cruise ship has trip but very short.

3 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle to Native Museum

There is no Native American center. I'm sure yo mean the Alaska Native Heritage Center.

Here's a link where they show their shuttle schedule:

alaskanative.net/en/…

I'd guess a taxi would end up being about $15-20 each way.

As you probably know from your experience Anchorage is great, but the rest of AK is even better. You actually end up with quite a bit of useful time in Anchorage on that cruise that visits the city. If you are energetic people, I'd highly recommend renting a car (about $100 for the day) and do a self-drive tour south along Turnagain Arm to Girdwood and some other more difficult-to-reach sites in/near Anchorage. I think it'd be far more interesting than downtown ANC.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle to Native Museum

alaskanative.net/en/main-nav/plan-your-visit/ is the link to their shuttle schedule and you can poke around their site and discover the general programs as well. Likely that is the same link already proposed. The shuttle leaves from downtown Anchorage and the closest to the port is likely 524 w. 4th ave, which may be the visitor's center (who keeps track of addresses of such places?)

Look over the schedule and go for the richness of the day, the performances and demonstrations vary throughout the day, with a few repeats for people who come and go quickly. Use those times to walkout around the lake and talk to their docents at the 7 reconstructed native buildings.

Food is simple American fare which I remember as not getting far from hamburgers, so check that out on their web site as well. They have an excellent gift shop with top quality goods, so at least look through it!

If you have time and inclination just to see the general city - there are better things to do, but this is genuine city Alaska - check out the bus schedule at muni.org/Departments/…mapsandstops.aspx

Hope you have a great experience!

michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle to Native Museum

I am interested in renting a car from the port. Which car rental agencies are nearby?

Reply to: Shuttle to Native Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anchorage