We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iditarod 2019

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Iditarod 2019

Hello, can anyone offer advice as to when the best time to start planning a trip for the Iditarod in 2019? Any suggestions as to the best place to stay and is Anchorage the place to be for the start?

Would like any and all advice as there will be 2 of us traveling and would like to plan well in advance. Thank you

37 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
233 reviews
1. Re: Iditarod 2019

I'd start planing now, and booking 3-4 months out (Nov/Dec).

- I'd stay at Springhill Suites - University Lake.

- I'd start the 'ceremonial race' day at Snow City Cafe (make a reservation)

- I'd watch the first 4 -10 racers start from downtown, then...

- I'd head to the AK Native Medical Ctr area. There's I'd watch 4-5 racers pass, then...

- I'd head to Far North Bicentennial Park and walk in to the NE corner of the runway to view a few more racers....

- and end my viewing day at the Campbell Creek Science Ctr

links:

iditarod.com/about/…

https:/…

http://iditarod.com/resources/calendar/

map: https://goo.gl/maps/Lq9TaDWaMjA2

Edited: 20 March 2018, 05:47
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Iditarod 2019

Thank you so much for responding - we just started talking about it this weekend and was doing some searching. Thought I would ask and get some expertise. I appreciate all the information you posted. Again - THANK YOU!!

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: Iditarod 2019

The start in Anchorage on Saturday is ceremonial. Would you be interested in seeing the official restart in Willow on Sunday?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Iditarod 2019

I would like to see whatever I can so I can start planning. Don't know how far away Willow is from the start but I am leaving options open. Thank you

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
233 reviews
5. Re: Iditarod 2019

If you are serious about the Iditarod and have $1,000-$3,000 extra I highly recommend the Iditarider Auction. Each of the riders auctions off a seat on their sled to ride the approx. 11 miles thru Anchorage on the ceremonial start. My wife did this in 2017 and she loved it.

see: iditarod.com/bid-win-ride-the-iditarider/

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
169 reviews
6. Re: Iditarod 2019

Willow is about 70 minutes north of Anchorage. They usually offer shuttles from Wasilla (about 50 minutes north of Anchorage) due to the limited parking.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Iditarod 2019

Thank you for the information on Willow.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Iditarod 2019

Oh what a wonderful experience. I would love to do that. Thank you

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Iditarod 2019

Be aware that the start fro Willow is snow depedent and we've had a few years lately where the start had to be moved to Fairbanks. There's no way to know until probably 10-14 days beforehand and then everyone is scrambling. Be flexible is the key!

Personally, I like sdpryde's recommendations because t he dogs are truly just beaujtiful once they are on the trail...the start is fun but as he suggests see two or three or so a nd then head to the trailside to watch them go by. That's where you get the true feeling for what mushing is all about. If you cann come a week before, we have three d ays of sprint races - totally different type of mushing. Those are really lovely out along the trail around t he city each day....these are the fast, short distance races.

Holler as you move along in your planning and we'll all be more than happy t o help.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Iditarod 2019

Thank you so much for the information. Didn't even think about Anchorage not having snow at that time of the year but I guess it happens. Appreciate all the input and will definitely touch base if there are questions along the way. Seems like a long way off BUT time flies. Thank you again.

Reply to: Iditarod 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted