We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

Michigan Center...
Level Contributor
16 posts
go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

We (family of 3) are taking cruise from Vancouver and would need to arrive ship terminal before 3:00pm to catch 4:30pm Princess Cruise 6/22/2019, Saturday. I booked flight with arrival Seattle 8:30AM 6/22/2019, Saturday via Alaska Airlines. I mistakenly assumed the airport transfer would work (I did not know it takes 5 hours via shuttle, I did not know there are only 10:00am bus fit our schedule).

Here are my questions.

(1). What would be my best choice to go Cruise ship terminal that day?

(2). how long normally does it take from flight arrival on ground to get a rental car if no luggage pickup? I was thinking to do the one way rental and drive to ship terminal by self.

(3). if we drive to Canada place, for the time of Summer Saturday noon or early afternoon, which border crossing option would be best to avoid delay at the border There are 4 from west to east: Peace Arch; the Pacific Highway, or "Truck Crossing" as it's commonly known; Lynden/Aldergrove and Sumas/Abbotsford.

(4).What would be risk for Alaska airline arrive Seattle with delay over one hour?

(5). Normally, would Princess allow people to board in case we late, let us say we arrive 4:00pm, the ship departure at 4:30pm. the requirement says board before 3pm.

(6) In your opinion, would it be wiser to spend $375 change fee ($125 for each person) to change the flight to arrive Seattle 6/21 instead of 6/22?

Thanks a lot !

Jane

Best Seller
Seattle CityPASS
373 Reviews
from USD 89.00*
Mt. Rainier Day Trip from Seattle
281 Reviews
from USD 134.99*
Seattle in One Day: Sightseeing Tour...
658 Reviews
from USD 148.00*
9 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

You could fly from SeaTac up to Vancouver.

Is there a reason you can't fly into Vancouver directly, instead of Seattle?

<<we arrive 4:00pm, the ship departure at 4:30pm. the requirement says board before 3pm>>

No I would not expect the cruiseline to make an exception for you. Board before 3pm means exactly that.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 06:52
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

It's always a bad idea to fly in to a place and expect to get on a cruise ship that day. What if your flight is cancelled and they can't rebook you so that you get there in time? So if you absolutely have to fly to Seattle instead of the city where your cruise starts, then yes come the day before. But I agree that flying to Vancouver would be a lot easier. Did you already price a one-way car rental? Usually there is a big drop off fee for leaving the car in another country.

Michigan Center...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

Fly to Vancouver directly (would still need a stop ) on 6/22 would be a good option if I had not booked the tickets to Seattle. If I buy another flight ticket from SEA to Vancouver, it does not not make sense. because if Alaska airline arrives early enough on 6/22 for us to re-check-into another flight (via a different ticket) from Seattle to Vancouver, with Vancouver arrival before 1:00pm (so that we can arrive ship terminal before 3:00pm). then we should also have time to get the rental car to drive ship terminal too, considering add a new ticket would require another check-in process.

If I had not booked the ticket, I might bought the ticket directly to Vancouver, or flight to settle on 6/21 (to save money).

My main concern is the delay of the Alaska air. plus delay to car rental plus the delay of border crossing . then we would at the risk.

Jane

Michigan Center...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

one way car rental $122, drop off location is ship terminal.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

Pay the change fee, and arrive the day before your cruise. You are deluding yourself if you think anything else will work.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

Cruises cost a lot of money. It's not worth trying to save a little here and there... if you miss the boat!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,239 posts
112 reviews
7. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

if you look on top right you could read 'how to get to Vanc for a cuise". It gives you all options. I do like the train option the best as you would arrive by noon

Michigan Center...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

Thanks a lot!

Since It is 9 months away. I wait and see if Alaska air wound change the flight schedule so that they might waive the change fee.

I think one way car rental would work if we arrive Seattle one day before. The ship terminal is 156 miles away from Seattle airport. We can drop the car at the Canada Place (the ship terminal) location. We can cross the border early on Saturday morning to avoid the delay at border. I am in east time zone, it would be easy for us to get up early the first days because of time difference. I feel having a car give us more freedom so that we will not depend on shuttle bus's schedule for hotel/ship terminal etc.

Of course I would consider to fly Vancouver on 6/21 with one stop somewhere if the connection time/price make sense. There are no direct flight from my city to Vancouver.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport

<I would consider to fly Vancouver on 6/21 with one stop somewhere if the connection time/price make sense.>

I hope you will be able to find a way to work that out. It would be so much better...

Reply to: go to ship terminal in Vancouver from Seattle airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted