We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle vacation rentals

Seattle vacation rentals

I have noticed most of apartment rentals in downtown/Belltown Seattle do not guarantee air conditioning. We are coming for 3 days pre cruise August 31, 2019. Will the lack of A/C be a problem?

Thanks

Best Seller
Seattle CityPASS
373 Reviews
from USD 89.00*
Mt. Rainier Day Trip from Seattle
281 Reviews
from USD 134.99*
Seattle in One Day: Sightseeing Tour...
658 Reviews
from USD 148.00*
10 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,746 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

Usually not.

There have been summers when it never hit 90 degrees. But the past few summers have been much warmer.

Are you planning to hang out in the Vacation Rental during the day or will you be out & about? It really cools off at night, so if you're out all day you can just open windows when you return from your tourism and the place will likely cool off quickly.

Does the property owner/manager provide a few fans?

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

I worry more about no AC because of noise-factor staying in the downtown/Belltown area (if you have to open windows to get air), than I'd worry about needing to cool things off.

US
Level Contributor
5,671 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

You’ll find many rentals and restaurants don’t have a/c. We were there during a 90 degree heat wave this summer. Our Airbnb host actually bought and installed a window unit for us before we arrived. Another room had a ceiling fan. One had nothing and an open window made for noisy sleep. In hindsight, we should have either asked for or bought a fan for that room.

Heat waves like that aren’t the norm though.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

I don't know anyone who has air conditioning in their home or apartment here in Seattle. But I would want it in a vacation rental or hotel room... especially in the downtown area you are asking about (as I already posted because of city noise).

Edited: 19 September 2018, 03:34
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

Heat waves ARE the norm now. Global warming has been making itself felt during the last five summers in Seattle. This last summer was awful. There were over 10 days during which the temps passed 90 degrees. The worst heat was in July, and usually, Aug. 31 would be well past the worst. However, there is a new wrinkle to consider: smoke from forest fires blowing into the region. Again, last summer was ghastly in this respect, as the air smelled of smoke and represented a health hazard to people with asthma, heart disease, or other medical conditions affected by pollution.There is every reason to fear that fires will strike next summer, too. Look up the summer temps for the last 5 years online to see what you might encounter in Seattle. You will see that 2017 tied for the hottest and driest summer on record. Then 2018 came along.

I shake my head whenever I hear people saying that summer visitors don't need AC in Seattle. That used to be true. It no longer is.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

I don't remember any heatwaves happening as late as the last day of August though.

but I still advise AC in a rental.

Edited: 19 September 2018, 04:17
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
259 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

Although we've been visiting Seattle several times a year for 10 years, we just moved last May from Alaska. I could not imagine not having A/C. Might depend on where you're from. We just weren't used to it and it was a warm summer. Since you've asked, you appear to need it too.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

I have a top floor condo with windows on 3 sides and 5 fans I run in the summer-time ;-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
102 reviews
9. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

FWIW I don’t know anyone who does not have ac in their home. We are in a suburb, but our kids are in the city and they both have ac units as do their friends. As kaleberg mentioned, things have changed a lot over the years in this regard.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,292 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Seattle vacation rentals

I didn't say people don't have AC :-) I only said I don't know anyone who does. Because I don't -haha.

Reply to: Seattle vacation rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted