We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

Hi, we are arriving on Wednesday September 19th around 5 pm from Ireland. We are on a 2 week break returning 2 weeks later via LAX . We are stopping in Salem OR for a friends wedding on Friday and plan to stay a few days around Oregon. Should we stay in Seattle Center on our first night bearing in mind we will have had an11 hour flight?

Is there anywhere nice to stay enroute outside Seattle?

It’s our 30th wedding anniversary and first time to USA. I’ve arranged car hire for 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Best Seller
Seattle CityPASS
373 Reviews
from USD 89.00*
Mt. Rainier Day Trip from Seattle
280 Reviews
from USD 134.99*
Seattle in One Day: Sightseeing Tour...
657 Reviews
from USD 148.00*
9 replies to this topic
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
1. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

Seattle-Tacoma airport is south of the city, so going north to the city is counter-productive. After an 11-hour flight I would choose an airport hotel rather than search a strange country for somewhere "nice." There is a wide selection.

In the morning, get on the I-5 freeway and head south...It goes all the way to Los Angeles, passing right through Salem on the way. For a leisurely trip, allow at least four days travel time to LA.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

I also recommend staying at an airport area hotel on arrival. Relax over a nice meal and a drink (or two) and have breakfast before hitting the road the next morning (let the morning rush hour traffic calm down).

It's about a 4 hour drive to Salem. I-5 will take you through Portland. Depending on how quickly you want to get to Salem, you might consider a lunch break in Portland or a short side trip to see Multnomah Falls in the nearby Columbia Gorge.

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

Airport area hotels that I like: Hampton inn on 28th, Hilton. Free parking at Hampton.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
139 reviews
4. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

You might want to consider Cedarbrook Lodge for your Seattle stay. It's about 10 minutes from the airport. Nice accommodations nestled in an area of beautiful evergreen trees. It has a good restaurant for a special anniversary dinner. It has easy access to I-5 that will take you all the way to Salem. Hope you enjoy our beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,719 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

I'll add to the recommendation of Cedarbrook Lodge.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,222 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

also for a 2 wk car rental you will save money by renting off site as the airport rentals will add extra charges. Just compare Seattle vs SeaTac. Look at Tukwila as an example of a close by city. Many will still let you return to the airport upon return.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

I would definitely stay near-ish the airport the first night, no reason to come into the city at all (Seattle) when you are headed south to Oregon. Cedarbrook would be perfect for a 1st night and celebratory evening. Otherwise just use a SeaTac hotel. Then in the morning head to Oregon. Maybe stay Thursday night somewhere in Willamette Valley like McMinnville, then you'd be very close to the Salem wedding on Friday.

(the rental car isn't coming back to Seattle, it's being turned in at Los Angles at the end of the 2-week trip, if I'm understanding correctly)

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
246 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

I'd suggest heading south of the airport to stay in downtown Tacoma or the Tacoma waterfront if you want nice accommodations. It will also get you heading in the right direction. Tacoma is 20 to 30 minutes from the airport.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
246 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.

Silver Cloud on Ruston Way or Hotel Murano in downtown are good options. Also consider B+B options in "North Tacoma" "Stadium" ""Proctor" and "Old Town."

Reply to: Travelling from Tacoma airport Seattle to Salem Oregon.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted