We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking near Seward

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
344 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking near Seward

My wife and I will be in Seward the last week of July. We would appreciate suggestions for day hikes in the vicinity of Seward. We don't mind driving 40 miles or so to the trailhead. We like 10 miles and under for a day hike but we will do up to 12 or so.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking near Seward

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/

some good info here

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking near Seward

BlueH2O gave you a great hiking link. My favorite hike (near Seward) is the climb up to the Harding Icefield. It's a great (tough) full day hike with a heavenly view at the top.

see: alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/ExitGlacier_Hardi…

Good luck & enjoy,

Scott

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking near Seward

I enjoyed the Harding Icefield Trail last August myself. Though it is only 8+ miles round trip, it has a 3,000 foot elevation gain. So it is challenging enough. Great views, great hike. Expect snow toward the top and have good footwear.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking near Seward

Bear in mind that when the ratings for the hikes are based on experienced hikers in good shape. I'm in good shape and fairly experienced and I'm very sore the next couple of days when I do anything above a moderate hike.

Also, factor in the difficulty level *and* the length of the hike. Bring plenty of water, moleskin and shoe/boots that you know will perform well.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking near Seward

Yes, that is a great site for hiking info. Props to the folks who started it and update it, and all for free. We have found some great places using that site as a guide. If you don' mind a drive, give some consideration to some of the hikes around Skilak Lake. Just south of Cooper Landing, lots of wildlife in that area, and some good views even from some of the shorter hikes. While in that area, consider Russian River Falls for a chance to see bears fishing, if the bear(s) are there, we call it a poor man's Brooks Falls. It will be timing for the salmon run so hopefully some bears will be fishing the falls. Flat, well marked trail but definitely in bear territory. Parking is limited so try and do that one early. If you leave Seward 6 am, you can almost be guaranteed a spot at 7 am and have plenty of time to do Russian River, grab some lunch and then go explore some of the shorter hikes around Skilak Lake, stop back in Cooper Landing for dinner, and make it back to Seward in time for a shower and bed. Restaurant/gas station/hotel/campground just north of Cooper Landing on east side of raod (can't remember name) is good with some of the best menu prices we have found in our tours. They have some great pie there too.

Edited: 12 February 2011, 04:30
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
344 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking near Seward

Thanks for recommending the Alaskahikes site. I have visited it and bookmarked it. I will use it in planning our trip. We are experienced hikers who work out five times a week and hike regularly. Our "home base" for hiking is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park so we are looking forward to our visit to Alaska.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking near Seward

If you are hardy hikers you might want to up your mileage a few miles to see Lost Lake on the Lost Lake trail just north of Seward. It is gorgeous!

Check it out on alaskahikesearch

Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking near Seward

Hello,

Just wondering if you might be able to give me sme more info on the hike south of Cooper Landing.I will be in Seward late June and was wondering if that time of the year is when we might have a chance of seeing some wildlife in that area.

Also I am traveling with my family and want to make sure the area is safe.Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks for your help.

9. Re: Hiking near Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 20:22