We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

We arriving in Kona at 10:00pm are there any liquor stores open so we can stock up? Thanks.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,059 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

No liquor stores...Hawaii sells liquor in grocery stores, drug stores, ABC stores, Costco etc.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

Safeway may be open 24 hours. I'm sure someone that lives there will let you know.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

Might be cutting it close on the 11pm cutoff. I assume it applies to liquor sales and not just beer.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

There are three liquor stores on the island, one in each Kona, Waimea and Hilo, but they will be closed by the time you arrive. Safeway is open 24/7 but I don't know if they sell liquor 24/7. If you stay in a condo there is a concierge service that will stock your condo before arrival. http://hawaiiantropicalvacations.com is their web site, just look for the concierge service link.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,070 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

By law, all alcoholic beverages sales cease at 11 pm except for that served in bars and restaurants. IF you can get to Safeway by 11 pm it is open, but you must have your purchase rung up before 11. The registers are programmed to reject the sale after that. It would be close.

You can bring a bottle in your checked luggage if you cushion it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,825 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

If you are coming from Sherwood Park, you will have had a couple of place flights and your body clock will be, what, 3 or 4 hours ahead, so it's 1 or 2nAM. Suggest if you check bags you bring "a little something" to tide you over till the next morning. It will really be too much of a race to try to buy something that night.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,070 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

Totally agree. You'll be exhausted. If you're staying in a condo and want a nightcap, bring it with you. If you're staying in a hotel or close to a bar, have a couple drinks there and call it a night.

Stock up the next day.

btw, you didn't say where you're staying; if you tell us we can make a suggestion for your daytime stocking up.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

i also thought that their was a small liquor store in kaiwaihae harbor?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,070 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

There is a convenience store. There used to be a real liquor store in the industrial park area on the mauka side, but it's been gone for some time. Unless it's been replaced.

There are numerous minit-stop type stores, but I would never patronize them for stocking up. They are for convenience. Doesn't matter, they all stop selling at 11 pm.

The best prices for hard liquor are at the "drug" store -- Longs.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 10:06
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late Arriving - Liquor Stores

Thank you everyone for you suggestions. I think I will bring a little something in my luggage and order room service. Stocking up at Safeway works for me.