We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car in Kona

los angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Rent a car in Kona

Impossible to find a car available in Kona from Dec23 to Dec31. Apparently, every single car rental is sold out. I cannot believe it! Any suggestion will be appreciated.

california
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Rent a car in Kona

If you don't already have a prepaid hotel reservation, try a package deal with car and hotel with Expedia. Or try carrentalhawaii.com. We are traveling almost the same dates and when I started looking there were a few cars available, but they were VERY expensive. We have a reservation through carrentalhawaii.com, but I almost switched to an Expedia package last week before the final payment was due because they were a great deal.

los angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Rent a car in Kona

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunetaly, we've booked the flights and condo already. As a guideline, do you know how much you paid for the car? 80$/day ?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
125 reviews
3. Re: Rent a car in Kona

This happens every year...and $80 to $100 a day is the going rate + tax and airport fees at least it was last year....

This is not a big place... pretty small and the rental car are limited. Christmas is the highest of all the seasons and there are only somany resources. Car rental firms keep a few care in reserve and charge $$$$$$$$$$$ dearly for them Many times you can only get them for 1 or 2 days at a time...not 7

Several rental car places have closed...Enterprise in Keauhou, And Advantage as well.

Plan on Taxi to your hotel and check daily with the rental car folks on a daily baisis......make a plan B You wont be alone there will be many others in the same boat.

There is a new service called DoorStep dining thet for $6 will deliver meals from many Kona restauraunts to you in the Kona-Keauhou area.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
1,183 reviews
4. Re: Rent a car in Kona

We are renting 12/22 to 1/5 for 2 weeks with a total including tax for $537.40. We rented on line with Hawaii Discount Rental and got a car through Thrifty. We booked in early August. We watched the rates for a while thinking they were a bit high, but they only kept going up so we booked it at this rate. It's possible some people reserved more then one vehicle and something will probably open up for you...hopefully. Good luck.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
125 reviews
5. Re: Rent a car in Kona

This happens...,.but the cars will go for top dollar

And you wont be the only person in a bidding war for the scraps if any..... this time of year you need to be booked 6 months n advance....ther will be very few noshows

As said before plan cabs $40 to Kona then 20 for shopping for food, 20 back... $80 a day There is a daly shuttle down Alii to Keauhou shopping center and KTA market and Longs

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Rent a car in Kona

Yes every year the prices are high for @ Dec 20 - Jan 1.. IF you are leaving prior to Jan 1 or 2 and do not have a car rented yet try priceline.com, hawaiidrive-o.com or discounthawaiicarrental.com Being an island we can not get cars here from another state or facility... this same thing happens during Ironman. If you are coming and staying into January make 2 different reservations; the prices drop dramatically on Jan 1 and it is worth a quick stop at the airport to save. If all else fails when you get off the plane grab a shuttle up to the rentals (there are all bunched together) and see if someone did not claim his or her car.. you may luck out..

california
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Rent a car in Kona

We will be paying 278 for 12/25-12/30 (I think it is a weekly rate). If you can't get anything through the other sites listed, you may want to just do one of the expedia hotel packages and forget about the hotel. When the car rental agencies had cars listed a couple of week ago it was going to cost $900 for the 5 days we are there, and there were packages for $600 available for the 5 days we are there last week (trick- change the car from Hertz which is the most expensive and for some reason is the one they list).

We rented a compact, and since we are coming in late Christmas day, I shudder to think about what kind of car we actually end up with - at least gas is cheaper than a few months ago!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Rent a car in Kona

Our Daughter and Son-in-law found themselves in the same predicament for 12/23-27 on the Big Island. As recently as a week ago, I located a 4 wheel drive through Harper's: http://www.harpershawaii.com/

Warning: Before calling, fasten your "I can't believe the price" seatbelt.

Alternative idea; if you're willing to endure the fees associated with a plane change, as well as a scenic, but lengthy drive, Alamo had cars in Hilo.

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Rent a car in Kona

Wow - this is making me happy that we booked so far in advance, even though we are just before Christmas. We are there 12/17-25 and got a great deal of under $240 for the 9 days. Whew! BUT - I also booked back in February and watched weekly for price drops...

Anyone booking thru Alamo for late pickup in Kona on Christmas Night might end up with our car. We will take good care of it.

I hope you find something. Although occupancy on the islands has dropped, Christmas is the exception to the rule.

los angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Rent a car in Kona

The "no car" story continues.

As of today, none of the suggested car rentals could provide us a car from 12/23 to 12/31.

My wife ended up "securing" a reservation from 12/19 to 12/31. How come a car could be available from 19 to 31 and not 23 to 31? Euh ??? Ok why not.

Now the question becomes how could we pick up the car on 12/19 without being over there ?

If we don't make it, you will easily recogize us hitch-hiking with a 2 years old boy on the top of my back pack!!

When you think that GM, Ford and Chrysler have zilion cars in stock !! Grrrrr!!!

Thank you for all your precious advices

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations