We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire at kona airport

car hire at kona airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 07:00
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: car hire at kona airport

Ever since 9/11 there are no rent-a-car counters at the terminals, but the shuttle ride really is just a hop. (IN fact, you could easily walk there from the terminals.) Alamo tends to be the lowest priced but the only complaint I heard about them was the longer than usual wait.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
2. Re: car hire at kona airport

I can't give you a complete answer, but my experience with Alamo has been fine. All the rental car lots are a half mile or so removed from the terminals out of necessity, and my belief is that the shuttles cruise continuously, so you'd just wait at the curb and hail the one you want, which will then take you to the main office. There, you fill out the paperwork and get your car. Really quite painless. Well, almost painless. Well, no more pain than you went through passing security. Not even that much... (It's actually very smooth. Really!)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
271 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: car hire at kona airport

Hi there brian288.

I am an Aussie who has just returned from a holiday on the big island last week with my mum and daughter and we booked a hire car through alamo also. When you arrive at the airport a shuttle bus picks you up and your luggage and takes you to the alamo rental depot. A 2 minute joourney. We had no problems with service at all and were lucky to be there all of 10 minutes till we drove out. The only complaint i did have was the minivan we hired had bad brakes and the back wheel made a whirring sound all the time. I told them this on drop off and that was it. The only hint i can give you is make sure you fill up the tank prior to drop off as there is no gas stations near the airport and i had to pay $4.86 a gallon for them to fill up my rental. they open at 5:30am in the morning so early flights are no problem for dropping off youor car neither. I would book through alamo again as they have got the better rates. Hope this helps.

Regards Brooke

Northern California
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
4. Re: car hire at kona airport

Does the Kona airport have a self service kiosk for Alamo? This should speed up the process for many drivers if it's available.

I thought last I heard they had one there.

I would also suggest to sign up for their 'Save Time' program. I use this a lot when I travel. I have my information already entered into the system, they just check my id, do my CC and I'm off.

I would say if I have a slow rental agent it can shave some valuable time off the rental experience.

California
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: car hire at kona airport

When we were on the Islands late 2005, we used Alamo on Kauai and in Hilo with no problems. We had one booked in Kona, but did not port due to high surf. We are returning later this year for a land vacation to Kona since we missed it. Just yesterday I booked our car. We had no problems with Alamo on the two other islands so I had no worries about booking with them again - especially since they were the least expensive. I plan to fill out my information online before we leave to save time at the airport. If they have a kiosk, I will certainly make use of that too....

oregon
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: car hire at kona airport

We always use Alamo. Never had a problem with them. No self service kiosk. Shuttle is right in front of the terminal, which is really small. Very easy to get around. The Alamo building is just up the road. My husband usually hops on the shuttle and gets the car while I gather the baggage. He then comes back around to pick me up. Just saves time if only one of you will be driving. Otherwise, you have to have both of you sign the rental agreement.

7. Re: car hire at kona airport

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 07:00
8. Re: car hire at kona airport

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 19:21
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations