We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Ka Milo area AND personal chef recommendations

Alberta
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
NYE in Ka Milo area AND personal chef recommendations

We will be renting in the Ka Milo area and would appreciate options for a Luau on NYE this year. We will be a group of 6 adults and 3 children ages 6-8. Are there any better than others with children in mind? We also will be celebrating a 50th bday during our stay and thought it may be fun to bring in a chef...recommendations on that also would be appreciated...someone who is interactive, perhaps doesn't mind showing us how to prepare the meal or parts of it.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 16:06
4 replies to this topic
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,667 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE in Ka Milo area AND personal chef recommendations

I don’t recommend any lu’aus, waste of money better spent on fine dining, but the Fairmont Gathering of Kings is probably the best thing (not exactly a lu’au, has better food). All hotels offer lu’au on specific days of the week, so there may not be one on NYE. Fairmont does a NYE party. It is not cheap, but it would be better IMO than a luau, which is also expensive.

Because the Fairmont is almost next door to Ka Milo, within the resort area, it would be an ideal place to go out. I do not recommend being out on the highway on NYE, due to the prevalence of drinking and driving.

I don’t know about private chefs, sorry, will leave that to others.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE in Ka Milo area AND personal chef recommendations

in 2013, my husband and I celebrated our tenth anniversary at Horizon Guest House, near Captain Cook, and decided that it would be a better idea to find someone to cater dinner for the two of us on location than to drive after the celebrations. We found an amazing personal chef, Pualani, who created a feast for us and was so personable and accommodating. Her business website is http://www.akamaicateringkona.com/ We liked it so much, we've lined her up to help us celebrate our 15th anniversary this February! Considering the quality of the food and outstanding service, I thought the price was spot on, not too extravagant at all. She might be exactly what you are looking for.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE in Ka Milo area AND personal chef recommendations

Gathering of the Kings is no longer. Fairmont Orchid now hosts Hawaii Loa Luau. They have performances on December 27 and December 30.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,667 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE in Ka Milo area AND personal chef recommendations

Thanks for the update boulders, the change is noted. :)

Reply to: NYE in Ka Milo area AND personal chef recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona