We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling lagoon?

now
Level Contributor
21 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling lagoon?

My daughter is afraid of sharks and won’t swim in the ocean - but I think she’s enjoy a snorkeling lagoon. Mauna Kea, Hilton, Fairmont or 4 Seasons? Can you access without staying there?

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
267 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
6 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling lagoon?

Are you thinking about King's Pond at the Four Seasons? Or Kukio beach (which is not a snorkeling pond but actual ocean)? King's Pond is available to resort guests and homeowners. Homeowner guests/renters pay a daily access fee which varies depending on time of year.

King's Pond would be ideal for your daughter, so if you haven't booked your hotel reservations yet, I highly suggest staying there. It's worth every penny.

Edited: 15 November 2017, 08:45
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling lagoon?

I did forget to mention that you could swim in Ocean Pool at Four Seasons. It's not the best snorkeling, however it's safe from sharks, and there are turtles there most of the time. It's just up the strand from the public beach access. Unless you are a guest at the FS, you cannot use the lounge chairs there, but you're more than welcome to lay out a beach blanket or towels. I've seen people do that each time we've been there.

Edited: 15 November 2017, 13:05
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling lagoon?

The only hotel on the island that has its own manmade, dedicated snorkeling lagoon is the Four Seasons and it's for hotel guests only. As mentioned above there is an ocean lagoon of sorts at the FS that is part of the ocean that anyone can swim in. The Hilton has a mandmade lagoon that is also ocean fed, but it is supposed to be guests only and truthfully it's kind of dank. Neither the Fairmont nor the Mauna Kea have any lagoons.

The lagoon at Kikaua Point is excellent for people who want to see some fish and not be exposed to the open ocean. Nice beach area too.

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
267 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
now
Level Contributor
21 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling lagoon?

Thank you - I was thinking about the actual lagoon not the ocean- appreciate the tips!

now
Level Contributor
21 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling lagoon?

Thanks for the clarification and the tip about Kikaua!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling lagoon?

Both the Fairmont and the Mauna Lani have shallow protected swimming areas with rock barriers, in front of the Mauna Lani Bay and adjacent to the Fairmont (Pauo’a). The chairs are for hotel guests, but you can swim. No concern about sharks in either. Water shoes are helpful as there are rocks in places on the bottom that can stub toes.

Reply to: Snorkeling lagoon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona