We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Car rental prices on the Big Island are astronomical during high season....as I just discovered. I was Turo mentioned in a post about discount vehicles and I see a number of enticing available cars. But the consumer advisory websites are FULL of complaints, rip offs and recommendations not to use Turo. But perhaps of course those sites are for complaints. What are other travelers' experiences? I frequently use VRBO and airbnb so am familiar with some level of unpredictability...

Sandy

15 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Just for fun, I looked at KOA for my dates. Thecdaily rates were all more than I will be paying National, having booked last spring, and some of the cars were quite old. Enjoy.

1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

It sounds like you have never used Turo before. My Geico policy covers rentals through Turo. I just called and asked and they said yes. Turo is a real rental car company. They also provide free roadside assistance is anything goes wrong and 24/7 phone support. Turo doesnt let cars on the platform without current safety and registration exactly like Uber and Lyft. In my expierence the only reason to rent from enterprise or hertz is if you like burning money and don’t like supporting the sharing economy.

Edited: 07 July 2018, 09:16
No California
Level Contributor
259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

I have no idea about Turo, but wanted to comment about insurance. Check your own policy, as coverage is as varied as there are insurers. My policy is standard, meaning I don’t pay anything extra for an extra coverage.

I live in CA, whose insurance laws indicate the insurance follows the vehicle. So if I’m driving a friends car because mine is in the shop, the friends insurance (if they have any), would be primary and mine would be secondary. The same applies to a vehicle I rent while on vacation. Does not have to be from a rental company, could be from the guy on the corner. If that vehicle does not have liability coverage, then mine would kick in. What would be a problem is if your car at home did not have collision coverage. Then any car you rent would not have collision either.

If you know what your policy covers, you will always be prepared to make these types of decisions. HINT: don’t ask your agent. Call the claims dept of your carrier and ask them. Agents may sell you a product, but that does not mean they always know the details of what they are selling.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

I haven’t used it but In general your auto insurance would extend to a car rented through Touro just like it would to any rental car. Your could check your specific policy language but most companies define rental cars broadly. Not saying you might not have to jump through a few extra hoops if there’s a claim.

Sign up for the rewards programs for a couple of companies and they’ll typically send you some promo codes quickly. I agreee the Hawai’i Discount Car is competitive but I find better deals using promo codes. Also, with Thrifty instead of cancelling and rebooking I just go into my reservation and hit modify and it shows me current rates I can choose from. If the rate has dropped I select it and save, otherwise I back out.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

"I haven’t used it but In general your auto insurance would extend to a car rented through Touro just like it would to any rental car. Your could check your specific policy language but most companies define rental cars broadly. Not saying you might not have to jump through a few extra hoops if there’s a claim."

Wrong. Policies on both ends (renter or turo owner) cover private "hire" cars quite extensively. The short answer is no.

Reply to: Travelers' experiences using Turo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona