We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Car rental prices on the Big Island are astronomical during high season....as I just discovered. I was Turo mentioned in a post about discount vehicles and I see a number of enticing available cars. But the consumer advisory websites are FULL of complaints, rip offs and recommendations not to use Turo. But perhaps of course those sites are for complaints. What are other travelers' experiences? I frequently use VRBO and airbnb so am familiar with some level of unpredictability...

Sandy

15 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
70,233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Your biggest issue with turo is the insurance one. All private policies are voided by 'renting' the car. So now you are driving without insurance, unless you buy a policy that will cover a **non-licensed* rental. While your personal insurance covers rentals from licensed agencies, it doesn't cover turo etc. And despite what they may tell you, their insurance won't cover you either, unless you want to either buy their rider-at great expense-or lie.

You also don't know how the vehicle really "is". Is it the one pictured, or not? Is it maintained, or even legal? Is it safe? You have no way of knowing.

Try Autoslash, Costco, DHCR for rentals instead. Be creative and try breaking your rental into different 'blocks'. Sometimes you can reduce expenses that way by paying the highest rate for less time on one rental and lower rates for the rest.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Why take the huge chance? Vacations should be stress free and a bad car rental can ruin a vacation.....Use Discount Hawai‘i Car Rental or Costco if you are a member. No obligation bookings so you can continue to look for a better rate. I've booked, cancelled and re-booked 8 times before a trip.

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Even during what are High seasons better rates can be had by reserving early. Once that is done thru a company mentioned by Nick, check back and check back.

I get the sense that most complaints are from folks who reserve late. Often there is no choice if vacation plans are made late.

I’m one who likes to get my time locked in early.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,871 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Is it not a traffic crime here to drive without insurance?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Thanks very much. I had no idea that my own insurance would not cover me or a car I was driving, if it didn't come from a real rental agency. Your tips were great. I didn't even know that Costco had connections with car rentals. And I got a fairly good quote from Autoslash.

Sandy

Maui
Level Contributor
70,233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Sandy, glad to have helped! Keep trying-the prices change and weekends are often the highest ones.

Yep, it's a traffic crime to drive without insurance. But if you are in a wreck and are at fault, that would maybe be the least of your worries :-(.

Austin, Texas
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

I've used Turo once and it worked out well. I'm not sure what others are talking about in regards to insurance. I was able to purchase a $1Mil policy and the price still came out way less than it would have been for a lower quality car at a rental agency. It took minor coordination effort for arranging pickup and drop off at the airport but that wasn't a big deal. Like anywhere, just pay attention to prior reviews for clues about quality.

Edited: 27 November 2017, 09:01
Maui
Level Contributor
70,233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

Jeff, as I said--yes, you can buy turo's policy.

I don't know where you used turo, but I wouldn't do it in Hawaii. It's not worth it. Great prices from the majors can be had here.

Austin, Texas
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

I rented a Benz SLK on Oahu. The price was comparable to a mid-size sedan at a rental. This was awhile back though (when Turo was called Relay Rides) so maybe things have changed since.

Edited: 27 November 2017, 11:05
Maui
Level Contributor
70,233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelers' experiences using Turo?

I would say Oahu is prob the only place I'd consider doing turo if I had to. There are many more cars there, many newer ones-and so you also have more "competition" for better vehicles.

Reply to: Travelers' experiences using Turo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona