We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona Costco luggage and break ins

Halifax, NS, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Kona Costco luggage and break ins

Hi

Arriving in Kona in the n3xt few days and was thinking to drop off to Costco on the way to our condo from the airport. Is it unwise to leave the car with luggage in the parking lot at Costco? I know many board topics encourage you to not leave anything in the car, ever, due to break ins, but is that a concern at Costco?

Thanks!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Kona Costco luggage and break ins

Wasn't a concern to me in the least. True that leaving a car full of luggage in some areas is asking for trouble ~ as is true anywhere you live/travel. But discussions here also note the places where break-ins tend not to be an issue.

~ Colleen

2. Re: Kona Costco luggage and break ins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2017, 03:37
Edited: 14 December 2017, 03:37
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
3. Re: Kona Costco luggage and break ins

Actually there have been a number of car breakins at the Kona Costco, I've seen them mentioned on some of the local Facebook groups that talk about thefts, etc. But it seems like mostly people taking phones. I wouldn't say it's an epidemic, but it definitely happens. My guess is it's a lot more common with the parking lot areas that are furthest from the store, so if you just park in the thick of everything, are driving a car with a trunk, and utilize common sense (don't open the trunk and expose that you have all your luggage after you park, secure it beforehand, take any valuables with you), it should be fine.

California
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Kona Costco luggage and break ins

We've always done it if the luggage can fit in the trunk. I also always drive around until I can find a parking spot near the main entrance where dozens of people are always walking around.

I also put ANYTHING valuable in a backpack and bring it into the store with me. If your traveling with carry-on luggage only you can also easily take that into the store with you. These people breaking into car's aren't looking to carry off your 40 pound suit case, just valuables so take them with you.

5. Re: Kona Costco luggage and break ins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2018, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations