We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgis rally crowds

Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Sturgis rally crowds

I just realized our trip to Custer is planned for the same time as Sturgis. Should we reschedule? Are the crowds and traffic horrible?? Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
1. Re: Sturgis rally crowds

"Everything is extremely busy except attractions geared more toward the kids like Old Mcdonalds' Farm, Storybook Island and maybe Reptile Gardens and Bear Country. Driving on the scenic routes like Needles, Iron Mountain etc. will be a nightmare. Lodging is scarce and expensive."

This is a copy of my reply to another poster a day or two ago. Helps to read some other posts first or do a "search" first. It's your decision to to reschedule. Do you have reservations already?

Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Sturgis rally crowds

I did search and see this post. We already have lodging so that is not the issue. I was hoping for more details on crowds at Custer and other sites. We live near Rocky Mountain NP and know that there are times to completely avoid the area because of hours of traffic. I was hoping others could pipe in and share their experiences.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,034 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Sturgis rally crowds

I think Road Runner has said it for all of us who regularly contribute to this forum -- Attractions will be crowded and many of the roads will be a nightmare. Since you live relatively close to the Black Hills, it might be more feasible for you to re-schedule than for people who live much further away. If it were me, I'd go to the BH when it's not so crowded.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Sturgis rally crowds

I completely agree; Longhorn and Road Runner have summed it up. Road Runner lives in the area and sees the crowds first hand. You are only 6 hours away. I would cancel your lodging and come at a less crowded time. I guarantee you will save money too. I'm sure your lodging wasn't cheap.

Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Sturgis rally crowds

Thanks everyone. We will reschedule!

Reply to: Sturgis rally crowds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted