We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Resort cabins?

Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Which Resort cabins?

We are planning a last minute trip to Custer and surrounding area and were surprised to find some cabin rentals still available at State Game, Legion Lake and Sylvan Lake. Curious if anyone would recommend one over the other? I've read through the forum and used the search function but still don't have a clear sense on differences. How are the locations? We will have grandparents and kids with us and love to just explore around. We were also hoping to bring our kayaks if possible but not completely set on it.

Also, are bikes worthwhile to get around the park? Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1. Re: Which Resort cabins?

Since you're coming during the rally, there probably aren't any cabins left.

As for bicycles, there are some paths along the road ways but not many and I'm not sure if they're for bicycles or just pedestrians. Roads are narrow and winding with very little shoulders to ride on.

Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Which Resort cabins?

Um, my post specifically says we were surprised to see cabins are available.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
3. Re: Which Resort cabins?

If you still plan on coming, I would grab something fast. They are all nice. The game lodge cabins have more amenities like shopping, restaurants etc. while the ones near the lakes have better scenery, especially Sylvan. No matter what you choose, be prepared for lots of noise early in the morning and late at night. South Dakota does not enforce their loud exhaust ordinances during the rally, or any other time for that matter,

Edited: 27 July 2018, 08:21
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Which Resort cabins?

Thanks for the response. There seem to be a lot of cabins left as of now but it sounds like it's best if we reschedule to a different time away from the Sturgis rally. The cabins look like a great option and we look forward to booking them another time!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
5. Re: Which Resort cabins?

It might be shaping up as a "light" rally year. It's not an anniversary year or anything so it's possible. We've a had a couple in the last few decades when only 300,000 people showed up instead of 500,000+. CSP is usually one of the last to fill up because of the distance to the "action" but it will still have a bunch of heavy traffic.

Edited: 28 July 2018, 00:01
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,326 posts
6,456 reviews
6. Re: Which Resort cabins?

Sylvan Lake is more remote than the other places on your list.

We stayed there and liked it but would go with State Game Lodge for future trips.

Reply to: Which Resort cabins?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted