We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Satchmo Fest - what would YOU do?

West Monroe, LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
55 helpful votes
Satchmo Fest - what would YOU do?

We will be in NOLA during Satchmo Fest to attend a wedding. We will be staying on Decatur, and our time will be limited to a couple of nights. If it were you, what would be your priorities in having a great weekend? We 're in our early fifties, but we love good food and live music of all kinds, and just having a good time, in general. Can anyone give us some ideas, given the time of year, and how hot it will be? We've done research, but still like to hear from others as to what they enjoy best. Among the NOLA restaurants/spots we've visited in the past, are GW Fins, Mr. B's, Johnny's Po-boys, Pat O's, and Redfish Grill. Probably liked Mr. B's and RG the best, as far as food goes, but had a great time at the piano bar at Pat's. We also attended the French Quarter Festival a couple of years ago, as well as a couple of trips to the DD Museum, which we LOVED. I'm thinking of a trip to the Aquarium this time, just to stay cool. Also, thinking about a trip to the Three Muses to attend a set, if it gets too hot at SMF. Can anyone give us some ideas? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
659 reviews
189 helpful votes
1. Re: Satchmo Fest - what would YOU do?

I love walking around and listening to the street music and checking out the street art-we've been many times but that's still my favorite entertainment! I also love walking in and out of shops and galleries around the FQ.

Bfast at Johnny's for amazing biscuits, bfast across Canal at Red Gravy for fantastic pancakes and big bfasts or lunch. We love gumbo at Coops-we've experienced some not-great service there but never as bad as some have mentioned and again, I love their gumbo!

Surrey's cafe on Magazine-byo sparkling wine with their fresh squeezed oj and fantastic food. We like to ride the street car into the garden district and walk down to Surreys and then after bfast hitting some shops on magazine and cab or street car back.

Parkway Bakery and Tavern for lunch and Angelo Brocato for dessert if you've got a car or you can street car and then walk a bit to Parkway and back to street car and then on up to Angela Brocato.

We like to hang out at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shoppe for drinks and piano bar and chill on their patio.

We've never been during SMF but I love a festival some I'm sure it'll be fun!

West Monroe, LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: Satchmo Fest - what would YOU do?

Thanks for the recs. At this point, I'm seriously thinking we may just skip the festival altogether. We have fought the heat and humidity all summer long, and are just so tired of it. Thinking of stopping in some venues with some ac, for our "fix". Anybody know of some good places near the quarter, particularly on Sundays that can accomodate us?

AR
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
9 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Satchmo Fest - what would YOU do?

By venues do you mean music, jazz brunches, etc.????

4. Re: Satchmo Fest - what would YOU do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 19:17