We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from new orleans to memphis

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
bus from new orleans to memphis

hi,

can anyone help me with advice on getting a bus or train from new orleans to memphis?

thanks

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

You can get to Memphis via both options. The Greyhound would take aproximately 10-12hrs. The Amtrax train takes 10 hrs. I'm actually going up to Memphis from NO in about 3 weeks via the train. Here's the link to both options.

https://www.greyhound.com

http://www.amtrak.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

thankyou for your advice and the links.

much appricated

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

I think you would enjoy driving up to Memphis through historic Natchez, MS and the Delta. Rent a car and drive up. You would enjoy the outstanding dining in the Delta and the blues music. Good luck.

VISIT THE DELTA......

http://www.visitthedelta.com/

MS BLUES TRAIL......

http://www.msbluestrail.org/

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
4. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

can train be booked online

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

Yes, you can book your ticket on the Amtrak website, and it's actually a good idea to buy it as soon as you know for sure what your plans are as they can fill up quickly. I had booked my reservation a few months ahead of time, and was glad I did. I did not know that the universities in LA were having a mini break the week I went up to Memphis from NO, and lots of students were going home. The train was packed.

Let me add it was the most enjoyable, relaxing travel I've had in a long time. The train is VERY comfortable, lots of room (I could stretch out my legs in front of me and was barely touching the seat ahead of me), and friendly staff. It was nice to sitting in a seat and not having my knees under my chin as you do in most planes these days. I will definitely use the train again if ever the opportunity presents itself.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

Amtrak is a great means of transportation from NOLA to Memphis. It will stop in Greenwood, MS. If you have time plan an overnight visit to Greenwood. Stay at the 4* Alluvian Hotel owned by Viking Range and have dinner at Lusco's or Giardinia's. Both are great old family restaurants that serve outstanding steaks and seafood. Enjoy your trip.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
284 reviews
7. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

Amtrak leaves for Memphis at 1:45 pm, arrives 10 pm, so about 8 hrs. Just took the City of NO in November both ways. A pleasant trip without the airport hassles.

I would take the train long before the bus. The train seats in coach offer more legroom than most first class domestic airline seats and are almost as wide.

The Central Station at Memphis is in the southern part of the arts district and southwest of Beale St. You can take a trolley outside the station doors up Main St to Beale and beyond. Quite handy.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
114 reviews
8. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

My neighbor's sister who lives in Memphis takes Amtrak all the time to come down and visit their mother here. It's easy and convenient, and you can walk around and chat with other passengers for company. Go online and buy your tickets now! If you are a AAA member, you can get a discount, too.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

Would totally endorse catching the train. We did back in September and loved the experience! You're even allowed to get off at a couple of stations to smoke/stretch your legs. We also enjoyed a meal in the restaurant car....not especially good food but a great experience for us Brits.

Memphis station is in rather a dodgy area but there were taxis waiting and we had no trouble getting to our hotel.

But beware the weight of your case as mine was slightly over the limit and i had to unpack some clothes and carry them in my hand luggage! Also had to wait absolutely ages in Memphis for our cases to be unloaded and I was convinced ours would end up being whisked onto the next stop!

Oh, and you'll have the song (City of New orleans) going round in your head for days after the journey!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,474 posts
140 reviews
10. Re: bus from new orleans to memphis

Go to www.amtrak.com and download the schedule for the City of New Orleans (train #58 & 59). Purchase your tickets online to pick up here in the states. You can pick them up at the station from an agent or from an automated kiosk. The City of New Orleans runs daily between Chicago and New Orleans. After you visit Memphis come on up to Chicago for 3 days or more.