We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet flying to NO again

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet flying to NO again

A heads up to my Canadian TA friends, Westjet is flying to NO again.

Unfortunately though, it appears they no longer have direct flights from Toronto as last winter. Every flight I checked shows a connection in Miami. But at least it's another option (and hopefully start some price wars with Air Canada).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

Is Westjet operating the MIA-MSY service or are they partnering with American?

It really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to fly Toronto-Miami-NOLA since they can't pick up local passengers for the Miami-NOLA leg.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

Cajun--When have airlines EVER made any sense!

Porelly--We'll have to keep checking them now. Maybe we'll get lucky enough to get a direct fligh, but I doubt it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

I looked at the route map and the little information box says "Operated by WestJet and American Airlines." This means WestJet isn't returning to MSY at all this fall but will farm out a connection with AA. Bummer.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

You're so smart Cajunwave, never even thought to check that detail out. But it's still another option for us. AC only has 1 flight I believe that goes to NO direct from Toronto (so of course more expensive), and all the other options goes through a connection somewhere in the US, so same scenario.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

For our flight to NOLA in May 2012, if I booked right now, non-stop flight it $709.00 round trip per person not counting taxes. It's Air Canada too...and I hate Air Canada! Hopefully in November we'll find some better rates, cuz I ain't about to book that!

Edited: 24 August 2011, 01:38
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

$709 is high! Yikes.

My in-laws live in Dundas, Ontario and we often fly Southwest to Buffalo and then do the "border hop." Usually around $250.

My problem with the Air Canada nonstop is that it's on a baby-jet (50 seaters) that is too small for that jaunt, in my opinion. I'm only 6'0" and it's gotta be hell for taller people!

Edited: 24 August 2011, 02:23
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

Cajun--We've thought about the drive-to-Buffalo thing and there are just too many ways we can't do it right now. Last year we did get both our flights in May for $678.00 total...so it's just a matter of checking every day. I am not patient by any means...but I can wait if I have to

Edited: 24 August 2011, 02:46
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

actually, it was $685.00 total...we'll just have to keep checking! :)

9. Re: Westjet flying to NO again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 08:17