We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cemetery - which one? Guided tour or self tour?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
54 reviews
Cemetery - which one? Guided tour or self tour?

hello everyone, we are going next month and I want see one of the Nola's cemeteries since I first read Hailey's Hotel some 25 years ago (different country, different regime etc..). BTW - I love cemeteries. We are staying in FQ - so I will appreciate your oppinion which one to pick, go on our own or take a tour? Thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Cemetery - which one? Guided tour or self tour?

Broniu,

Since you love cemeteries, why only one? I don't know how long you're staying in NOLA for, but if you have time for more, they are certainly worth it.

St. Louis #1 is closest to the FQ. This one and the Lafayette #1 (in the Garden District) are considered the "Cemeteries 101" and either of them would probably be good to start with.

My favourite is St. Louis # 3, but it's further away from the Quarter, near City Park. It's got the best angel statues IMO.

As far as the "tour or no tour" question - at least the above three cemeteries are safe enough to tour on your own during the daytime. You may want to take a tour just for its educational value, though. However, I know from Herm's and Deny's posts that whatever you do, do not take tours (cemetery or other) by Gray Line. Save Our Cemeteries, on the other hand, seems to be getting good reviews. I have not taken any cemetery tours, so can't speak from my own experience here.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Cemetery - which one? Guided tour or self tour?

I suggest you take a tour as that way, you'll get the history and the various stories at the same time. You'd miss that going to visit one by yourself. And the tours are interesting.

St Louis#1 is the oldest cemetery. I've used Historic Tours by NO, which was very good.

http://tourneworleans.com/

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
122 reviews
3. Re: Cemetery - which one? Guided tour or self tour?

Save our Cemetaries is pretty good and they begin at the Basin Street Station which is pretty interesting in itself to tour and check out the free new orleans movie. The cemetaries close early for whatever reason that is..no ones going anywhere. Blood Mary at www.bloodymarystours.com does a good cemetary tour also.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Cemetery - which one? Guided tour or self tour?

Isn't there some kind of booklet you can buy at the Basin Street Station so you can give yourself a "guided" tour around St Louis Cemetary #1?

5. Re: Cemetery - which one? Guided tour or self tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 13:17