We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more burgers

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
more burgers

I like a good burger as much as the next guy, but I'm not a fiend for them. I can go months without eating one. So I haven't gotten around to most of these places mentioned in the link yet. I did try Company Burger this week while I was off work. The meat is good, fresh ground and cooked in front of you (if you're sitting at the bar). The bun is supposedly custom-made for them, but I'd say it needs a little work - mine nearly disintegrated after a few bites. Fries were hand-cut, but on the soggy side. Beer selection was very limited, but they comped my NOLA Blonde since it was Day 1 (I didn't realize that until after I arrived), so I am not complaining!! One thing I didn't like: a "napkins" were a big roll of brown paper on the counter, which everyone was touching....ewww. Like eating in the men's room. Hope that was just an opening day issue - the server told me they got wayy more traffic than they expected that day (social media, anyone?). So It was week one and they weren't clicking on all cylinders yet - nothing unusual there. I'll definitely be back. Had 5 Guys in Calif. - OK, but wouldn't cross the lake for them.

Have heard good things about Cowbell's food (they have had some service issues, too). Tru Burger reports haven't been as positive. And one of my offices is quite close to Juicy Lucy, but I haven't made it there yet, will soon. Well, enough about that, time to break for for your New Orleans Saints (now streaming world-wide on WWL radio).

nola.com/dining-guide/index.ssf/2011/08/5_ne…

Edited: 21 August 2011, 08:54
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,100 Reviews
from USD 48.00*
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
776 Reviews
from USD 176.00*
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
788 Reviews
from USD 34.00*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
1. Re: more burgers

highway, interesting that you posted this about burgers. My husband and I feel the same - - sometimes we just want a really good burger, a gut-buster. But we've come to realize that a good burger is a lost art. Just this past Friday, we tried a local tried and true steak house where they grind their beef. The burgers were "good" but that was about it. We have several Five Guys around here, & they are just "eh." Meatheads is the same. The best we've had is the grass fed ground beef from Whole Foods and grilling our own.

I saw the link you posted on facebook and shared it with my son, thinking he might at least try Tru Burger. They offer a gluten-free bun (his girlfriend has celiac). But I think he's still stuck on searching for that elusive Chicago dog!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: more burgers

You know, in all my 61 years, the best burgers I ever had were at Woolworth's lunch counters back in the 50's and 60's. They toasted the roll and added a couple of dill pickle chips. Simplicity and heaven on a bun. Gone but never forgotten.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: more burgers

When I was a kid we had this place called the Red Top. It was a true dive, but I have never had a better hamburger in my life. Onion, pickles, ketchup, relish, & mustard. Dang they were so good I still remember their name 45 years later!!!!!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: more burgers

I have to say I've had many DANG GOOD burgers in my life...but I'm still hard pressed to think of ANY that tops Yo Mama's peanut butter and bacon burger....

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: more burgers

ACM, my brother worked the grill at the drugstore-with-lunch-counter near our house growing up. Place was straight out of the 50's with great burgers, fries and shakes, the real deal. Like you, it's been my benchmark ever since. When the family that owned the store got out of the business, the old place died a slow and undignified death. An entrepreneur tried to resuscitate it for a while in the 90's, but it was never the same...you can never go home again.

etude, burgers are one of those things that always stir passion. At last look, there were 94 comments on the linked article. On the other subject that inflames emotions, Midway Pizza, the Chicago-style pizza place on Freret, should be open within the next 30 days. I went by on Wednesday, but couldn't get a peek inside. I'll be interested in your son's review of it once open. I really like Ancora's Neapolitan wood-fired pizzas down the street, but they ain't Chicago-style, that's for sure.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 01:41
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: more burgers

Stanley has a good burger. I like a good burger once or twice a month. Actually I like Back Yard Burger's. Here's a good one in MS.

roadfood.com/Restaurant/…phillips-grocery

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: more burgers

61.........Here's some good burger joints on the MS Gulf Coast if you get over that way. Good luck.

beachblvdmagazine.com/articles/…index.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
8. Re: more burgers

My son is not that particular in his pizza choice. He's more of a NYC thin crust kind of guy. Sounds like the place you mention, Ancora's might be right up his alley.

Now as far as burgers, I actually like the ones at Camellia Grill. They're never dry, made with that inexpensive ground chuck. ha!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
122 reviews
9. Re: more burgers

I liked the clover grill big burger with carmelized onions and a few spoons of chili.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: more burgers

I haven't had Clover Grill but have had Yo Mamma's and Camellia Grill. And I'm with etude, I like the ones at Camellia Grill.