I just have a few questions if anyone might care to answer them:
1) What is the smoking situation? I'm aware smoking is no longer allowed in restaurants but what about bars and outside? (Must ask as one cannot even smoke outside in the open air in many parts of California)
Personally, I'm not much of a smoker, only when drinking which is once every few weeks and when on vacation... So important to know. Also, these streetcars or trolleys, I'm imagining they are like those Rice-a-Roni ones which aren't enclosed, if my imagining is right, can one smoke on those? Also, I was thinking it would be fun to do some boat ride or something and, can one smoke on those? (lol, so crazy one must ask to smoke outside)
2) Any hotel suggestions? I've been looking all over the place and so far the best rate I've found is for some Best Western which I hear mixed reviews about, largely due to it being on the outskirts of the French Quarter. I want something where I can easily walk/be-in the French Quarters, Bourbon St and Harrah's and be safe (plan on being out until 3-6 in the morning drinking so...).
Really, so far, my search for accommodations has been frustrating as they all seem overpriced, especially when looking at the pictures of the rooms. Though that could just be me as I go to Vegas every 2-3 months and their low, low rates jaded me. Also, a room with smoking accommodations would be ideal but I don't intend on being in room long so, isn't that important (though I am annoyed at how every hotel seems to voluntarily refuse smoker accommodations, besides two I've found thus far... Just makes me think "the big easy?").
3) A main reason of this trip is just eating. Any suggestions on where to get the best gumbo and Cajun food and beignets? I need real food, has been too long living in LA not having any real food and Vegas has good food but I want real Southern, Cajun, Creole food.
4) Any other casinos worth the drive to visit other than the Harrahs that's right there? I plan on making a daytrip to Biloxi (was going to stay a night or two but had to make cuts to trip) but if there is anything else in New Orleans that is worth visiting like that Boon(or Boom)town.
5) I read one can drink freely outside so long as the container is plastic... Is that a Bourbon st. only kind of thing like Vegas or is it true for the entire city? Also, just to be sure, bars are all 24 hours? Also, are flaming Homer's legal? As in, can one order a drink that is lit on fire? (absurd it's outlawed in Vegas).
Lastly, 6) Is early June a good time? I love humidity so I'm anticipating plenty of that but will the streets be filled and everyone having a good time or is it at all dead? I plan on staying Wednesday through Monday so...
Thanks for any suggestions or advice... I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue to plan my trip but thus far, that's about it so far, lol.