We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can only do one of everything...any advice?

Level Contributor
279 posts
5 reviews
can only do one of everything...any advice?

hello new orleans forum!

we are arriving from gulf shores, al for probably around 36 hours in new orleans in early june.

ideally we would love to stay in the heart of things friday night and then by the airport saturday night for an early sunday morning departure.

since this is just a small portion of a larger trip i have not spent much time researching new orleans. please help me start!

if you could recommend one hotel, one dinner, one breakfast and one (or maybe two) tours/attractions to get a flavor of new orleans what would it be?

any assistance is greatly appreciated! there will be 4 adults.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
62,479 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

The first piece of advice I'd give is to forget the airport hotel unless you really have to. It's so easy getting to the airport early in the morning and I've never found any of the airport hotels to be that great, although a couple are ok.

Also consider that if you check out of your hotel you won't have anyplace to hang out, grab a change of clothes or whatever, remember it's likely to be hot and sticky you might want a place to chill out or change a shirt for 20 minutes in the middle of the day. Heading out to the airport, for me, would be a waste of a night, even if it has to be an early night.

What's the budget for the hotel and when are you coming to town? If it's the first weekend in June the Oyster Festival is on, I'd recommend it for good food and good music.

Level Contributor
279 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

thanks! we will be there june 10/11. i would say hotel budget up to 150 per night. how far is the main part of NO from the airport?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
62,479 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

MSY to the French Quarter is about 14 miles. Early on a Sunday morning it shouldn't take more than 20-25 minutes.

Any chance of upping that hotel budget a bit? $150 on a weekend isn't going to give you too many options I'm afraid.

Level Contributor
279 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

sure...how about 200ish?

Houma, Louisiana
Destination Expert
for Houma, Orange Beach, Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
757 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

200 - iberville suites, carriage ride around quarter. can't reccomend food because i havent had the chance to try as much as i wanted. but Crescent City Brewers are delicious, and the Steaks at Ruth Chris's are to die for.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

Definitely do not stay at the airport hotel. The Quarter is not that far from the hotel, and there won't be that much traffic early am. Even during the day, the ride to the airport ain't that bad.

Definitely stay in the French Quarter. With such a small amount of time to visit, you will want to be in the middle of everything. Hotels that are popular and often recommended, and not as expensive as others, are: Hotel St Marie, Prince Conti, Place D'Armes, Villa Convento. All these locations are great, but if you want to pinpoint the very best, Place D'Armes can't be beat.

A great place for breakfast is at the Clover Grill on Bourbon St, located in the quieter section of Bourbon. The omelettes are huge and delicious, and the ambiance is unbeatable.

A carriage ride when u 1st get to the Quarter is a must. It's a very touristy thing to do, but so much fun. And it gives you a great tour of the Quarter.

As for food in general, more restaurants than a person can try in a lifetime (but sure would be fun to try). There are all kinds of price points and styles. For casual dining, Chartres House Cafe on Chartres St, Coops on Decatur, and Yo Mamma's on St Peter are some of my favorites.

You must take the time to go to Pat O'Brien's on Saturday afternoon for a hurricane and the dueling piano bar. They have it 7 nights a week of course, but I find the Saturday afternoon has a different ambiance, really fun. They play request for tips, and they are really good at getting the crowd into it.

You are going to fin that a couple of days will only give you the chance to scratch the surface, and chances are you'll want to plan a return trip.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
122 reviews
7. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

I'd rec. the Place D'armes in the quarter, breakfast at the Coffee Pot, carriage ride around the quarter, walk around Jackson Square and the French Market, poor boy at Johnny's, tour the Presbytere for its Mardi Gras exhibits and Katrina exhibit, dinner at Mr. B's, drinks at Pat O's and maybe the Funky Pirate with Big Al Carson.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

Everything cajunyank said, but adding a visit to Laffite's Blacksmith Shop (bar in 1770s building). For such a short stay hotel location will be important; forget about staying close to the Airport.

Are you driving in? If so, consider ditching the car upon arrival in NOLA (if you are staying in a well located hotel you will not need it); some Central Business District/French Quarter car rental agencies will drop you off at your hotel. Then take a cab to the Airport (the savings on the rent car and parking will more than pay for the cab ride), which will save some time on your departure morning.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

Agree with previous posts, (definitely stay in the FQ instead of near airport), plus, Stop by The Funky Pirate between 4-8 PM and hear some great Blues and Classic Rock courtesy of Mark Penton & The Pentones, my favorite haunt in the FQ.

Hard to beat Old Coffee Pot for breakfast, (there are a few others I like, but they are not necessarily better, love the OCP). It is on St Peters between Bourbon & Royal.

A couple of my favorite dinner places are Mr B's Bistro, Red Fish Grill, if you take the recommendation for Place D'Armes, (although there are many other hotels just as good), Muriel's might be a good choice.

Ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: can only do one of everything...any advice?

You should be able to bid and get a 4* hotel in the FQ within your budget if you check out priceline or hotwire. I've had positive experiences with both. Why pay going rates..

You'll eat well just about anywhere in Nola but suggest you reserve ahead of time. My favorites are K Paul's, Mr B's, and you must try the mufletta at Central Grocery.

I would also suggest the VIP tour if you're short on time. It's reasonably priced, 2-3 hrs long and leaves you with plenty of time to go back through the areas that interest you.