We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Soup

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Soup

What is turtle soup and who makes the best in the FQ???

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Soup

I know its turtle meat, but what does it taste like????

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,030 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Soup

The way my Granny made it my best description would be really really chewy chicken.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Soup

Just the name has always kept me from ordering it - I'm not what you would call an adventure eater.

When we were at K-Paul's, though, the waitress recommended it, and brought us a sample to try. I have to admit, it was absolutely delicious.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Soup

I love turtle soup but admit I can't tell you how it's prepared. Good turtle soup is dark, rich and almost "stew-like" in consistency. Some restaurants also have "mock turtle" soup made with some other meat such as chicken, oxtail, beef, veal, etc etc etc.

New Orleans...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Soup

New Orleans cuisine is full of dishes whose name is completely wrong (BBQ Shrimp....well....at least there are shrimp in the dish), or where the local version is nothing like what the rest of the world serves. Turtle soup is one of the latter.

When you see turtle soup in most of the world, it is a thin soup resembling a consume with chunks of turtle meat in it. Here in New Orleans, though, it is a rich soup that resembles a thick gumbo. For many years it was made with the meat from a vary large (and very ugly) alligator snapping turtle. It is much harder to find those around here, so much of the turtle meat now comes from farm-raised snapping turtles in other parts of the country.

Surprisingly, many turtle soups contain little or NO turtle meat. Commander's palace, for instance, is famous for their turtle soup recipe. But it is common knowledge that they use veal as well as turtle meat. One of my personal favorite turtle soups is at Mandina's, the ultimate mid-city neighborhood joint that re-opened recently. However, I understand from a reliable source that there is NO turtle meat in Mandina's version.

In addition to Mandina's and Commander's, Brennan's, Galatoire's, Bon Ton, Arnoud's and Pascal's Manale are all reliable sources for good turtle soup. The recipe varies, but it is a roux-based soup with a beef or veal stock base (sometimes seafood stock and only occasionally a turtle stock), chopped hard-boiled eggs. The presence and amount of tomato and/or spinach often distinguished one version from another.

If you have turtle soup in a New Orleans restaurant you will nearly always be offered an optional shot of sherry poured into your soup at the table. I think this is more of a tradition than a cilinary advantage. The soup is usually cooked with sherry already in it. I like a tiny amount of sherry added at the table, but too much sherry can raise the alcohol level to a point where it irritates your taste buds.

You really should try turtle soup while in New Orleans. You won't find anything like it anywhere else.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Soup

I had turtle soup at commander's palace and at first I was sorta freaked out cause it was made with turtle...but once you get past that it's really very tasty!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Soup

My husband LOVES turtle soup. He likes K-Paul's and Upperline's the best. Upperline sometimes has a 'trio of soup' appetizer, gumbo, turtle soup and one other (can't recall what) that his absolute favorite thing.

BTW, if they don't have 'real' turtle in those soups, I'm not going to be the one to tell him!

8. Re: Turtle Soup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 04:18