We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point

North Plains, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

Hey y'all,

I'll be coming to New Orleans for my first Mardi Gras and I'm wondering which are the biggest baddest krewes to see roll through?

How long does each parade typically last and in your opinion, what is the best vantage point for view and maximum bead-catching? Thanks so much! (^.^)

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

Great question PDX - We are coming to NOLA from the UK for our first Mardi Gras. Any information and tips are most welcome.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
570 posts
147 reviews
71 helpful votes
2. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

I recommend along St. Charles Avenue in the Garden District. Most all major parades (except Endymion) go down St. Charles and it's a lot less crowded than Canal Street or the French Quarter. Locals have their chairs and ladders out for their kids, barbeque grills, tables of food and it's really fun and safe. We have a condo on St. Charles near Louisiana Avenue and it's a great area for viewing. I remember being on Bourbon St. on Mardi Gras day years ago and it was so crowded I was actually lifted off of my feet by the crowd - it was kinda scary. Don't know when you're coming to town, but two of my favorite krewes are the all-women krewes - Muses and Nyx. They roll down St. Charles the Wednesday and Thursday nights before Mardi Gras weekend and they have fabulous throws.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

I second the recommendation of watching the parades uptown. Some of my favorites are Krewe D' Etat, which has hilarious, satiric themed floats, Hermes always has great throws, and Krewe of Iris because I ride in it. Endymion is known for their spectacularly large floats but be warned, the crowds get really thick for Endymion. I would recommend looking into watching Endymion and Bacchus from the grand stands on St. Charles near Lafayette square to get the best view. You can purchase tickets online for the grandstands. There are several parade tracker apps that can give you an idea of when the parade will roll by you. As far as dinning does, I recommend having lunch at commanders on "lundi gras" (the Monday before Mardi Gras). Reservations are the only way to go if you are planning on eating at any of the nice restaurants.

Edited: 4 years ago
Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
415 posts
41 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

What days are you going to be there? Endymion is the biggest on Sat night before Fat Tuesday. It is a madhouse in the Quarter area. You can purchase grandstand tickets. Great idea, but I think they are around $65 this year. I am going to try and catch it toward the beginning of the route, but it is quite a walk.

Bacchus is fun on Sun night. I get a spot on the street after the turn near Harrah's. You can walk away from Canal and get to a point where there are not barriers, and it is easier to get nearer the floats. Monday night is Harry Connick, Jr's krewe, Orpheus. I usually catch it on Canal near Harrah's. All the bigger parades take a couple of hours to pass by. You can download the parade tracker app when you get there to see where it is at any given time.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

Viewing Uptown on St. Charles Ave. is truly great IF you have access to someone's close by residence (usually a party) or a "compound" constructed by a group, or if you purchase a "package" from a close by restaurant or bar, but otherwise, for me, not so much.

My favorite vantage point for the parades that go that way, and most of the biggies (except for Endymion) do, is on Tchoupitoulas St. between Natchez St. and Lafayette St. It's hard for the locals to get to, and most tourists don't think to go there.

My friends in Krewes will probably take offense, but the parades, though having different personalities and sizes, are all somewhat alike. Don't feel that you need to watch all of every parade. The evening parades are generally more spectacular than the daytime parades. The "super" krewes include Endymion, Bacchus and Orpheus. The daytime Zulu and Rex on Fat Tuesday are traditional favorites. Nyx and Muses, ladies only krewes, are very entertaining, including some of the best auxiliary and marching groups.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
570 posts
147 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

As far as facilities go, know there are a lot of port- a-potties on side streets off St. Charles Ave., so keep in mind if in the area. Not sure what is available elsewhere.

North Plains, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
7. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

How much time should we allow for each parade?

Edited: 4 years ago
Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
415 posts
41 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

It varies. The bigger parades last around 2 hours for the full parade.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

You didn't mention your age or whether or not kids will be with you. If you have small children, than St. Charles Ave in the Garden District is for you. Some restaurants along the route offer food and bathroom package deals for a price. If you are over 50, I would purchase tickets for the viewing stands in front of the hotels on St. Charles Ave. in the Central Business District or a restaurant package especially for Endymion, Bacchus and Orpheus parades. The stands have port-o-lets. If you are of the partying age, I would still see the parade on St. Charles Ave in the Central Business District . Keep in mind, that people line up for these three parades hours and hours in advance to claim their spots. If you need a place to sit, I would buy cheap portable chairs for the parade route. If you are young and don't mind being in the last row shoulder to shoulder then disregard that suggestion.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
677 posts
48 reviews
34 helpful votes
10. Re: Mardi Gras: favorite krewes and recommended vantage point
Save

best vantage point for view and maximum bead-catching? - for bead catching, at the biggest/baddest (which are Endymion and Bacchus), I would suggest buying a ticket for the grand stands

https://www.neworleansparadetickets.com/pages/zones

The cost can be a bit steep for the bigger parades (stand tickets are different prices based on parade) but worth it for the spot and bathroom. It can be hard to see the actual parade rows and rows back but with a stand, you are elevated. Finding a bathroom is a big issue. I have not noticed an increase in portable potties. We are locals that drive to the parades but locals buy "their parking spot" at a local school or other business close to the route that offers parking and use of bathroom (schools do this as a fundraiser). Even these parking/bathroom passes sell out, sometimes weeks in advance. Regarding timing, that depends on the size of the parade and if it has delays for one reason or another. The thing is, it is not really just about the parade rolling when trying to time it. People get to the route hours and hours before (the front row will be filled up by early or mid morning for the big parades even though they don't start until evening (filled with tents, chair, ladders, etc) After the parade, traffic and crowds can add more time so that is something to consider if you have other plans. If you are withing walking distance, that is better. You will avoid the traffic.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.