We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving amed versus pemuteran

Level Contributor
2 posts
67 reviews
diving amed versus pemuteran

we are travelling to Bali in december. we have done a fair amount of diving, so wondered about best coral & marine life between Amed versus Pemuteran/menjangan region. thanks

12 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

Sally, without touching on the marine life, do be aware that it many be a lot more rainy in the north (Pemuteran) than Amed in December. The north east coast does generally tend to be a bit dryer at that time of year.

Last year, we had great diving at Tulamben (we go this time every year), but waited 10 days in north Bali and conditions were poor and we could not dive at all.

Of course, it may be perfectly fine this year.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

Hi Sally,

No idea where you are from (easiest is to update your profile) so no idea what you are used to 'marine lifewise'.

From your reviews it would appear you've been to Amed before but you only did your OW certificate last year in LBJ September last year (after you were in Amed). Correct??

What is your current level/experience.

as above everything is relative. I dive and the wife likes to snorkel. We go to Amed every year and spend the bulk of our time in Bali in Amed over other areas.

In May we did Amed and Pemuteran.

In November I am returning on my own to Bali for 9 days - will stay whole time in Amed diving/snorkeling/chillaxing.

I dive just to enjoy the time. Not looking to find the "best of the best" or dive to my limit or moan as some people do when they get buddied with somebody less experienced etc.

Was a bit unlucky last year in May as, although rare, a whale shark swam past Amed 2 days after we left.

Then again there was once an Orca down in Uluwatu looking for a tasty surfer snack.

Amed diving you pay ~ US$30 a dive full service and full kit included. Most dive centres will also do 2 dive trips to Tulamben to dive the USAT Liberty and other sites. Where I dive the owners know I am not a fan of the Liberty so arrange to dive the Dropoff and Batu Kelebit.

PEMUTERAN

Menjangan Island - I personally won't give them my money. Everything is relative. Often 'boasted" that Menjangan Island has the best Corals in Bali but if you've ever been to the Red Sea/Egypt or GBR it is maybe 3/10 in comparison.

In Pemuteran for example we stayed at the www.tamansaribali.com

I dived with the dive centre on the beach.

They had 2 nice speedboats and I just did local Pemuteran bay dives and paid about 60euro for a couple of dives -more expensive than Amed but had a speedboat to myself one day with 2 DMs so fine with it.

Not full service but hey not bad.

However Menjangan Island is different

Basic 2 Dive trip will cost IDR1.2m

Kit for the day add IDR200k

Activity fee (Marine Park) IDR25k (diving)

Marine Park Fees IDR200k to IDR300k (weekends)

The 'Marine Park' fees are compulsory. Any activity in the West Bali National Park area whether just hiking or going snorkeling/diving the fees have to be paid.

So IDR1.6m for a 2 dive trip to Menjangan.

The snorkeling from Pemuteran Beach can be better than Amed but it has a problem. The whole bay is sand. At spring/full moon tides or choppy seas the sand gets churned up badly. It is like snorkeling in a milkshake. You literally can not see your hand in front of your face.

Personally prefer diving Batu Kelebit in Tulamben than Pemuteran.

Level Contributor
2 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

thanks for your advice- i think we will stick to Amed

cheers

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

Sally T, I do not dive so can only offer you my thoughts on snorkeling. Amed is a poor second to Menjangan. If you are an avid diver and you want to see the best in Bali then you should go to Menjangan at least once. Yes it is more expensive but it is so well worth it.

I don't know how Notapigsty can compare it to the Red Sea or GBR when he has not been to Menjangan. I have snorkeled all over Bali since 1985 and the GBR as well but not the Red Sea so I have no comparison there.

As a rule Menjangan and Pemuteran have good visibility but sea conditions do change and and can be unpredictable.

Watch a few diving Menjangan videos on youtube and see if you change your mind.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
89 reviews
5. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

Hi Lynne,

I have been to Menjangan.

When I go back to Pemuteran I no longer dive it as I've done it and don't personally feel it is worth it.

If somebody wishes to pay the money to say they've done it that's fair enough.

I just found it disappointing after all the "hype".

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

My apologies notapigsty, I thought from your various posts about Pemuteran you would not pay the money to go to Menjangan. If you have been you must know how great it is.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

Hi Lynne,

it is good in comparison to other parts of Bali but I'm just comparing with other places I've dived and with the time, effort and money felt a bit disappointed.

It is in itself not expensive in comparison to other parts of the world but relatively speaking expensive in comparison to other local dive prices in Bali.

In Pemuteran in general they bump up the prices even for local dives.

I will be diving Cairns/GBR/Brisbane next year and know the prices. Obviously more expensive than Bali. They're the going rate generally. Not much difference between them.

I once went to a place called "Dolphin House" in the Red Sea (it is not a Sea Word or Animal park it is a reef in the middle of the Red Sea) - Dolphins were out shopping. Now would think twice about paying the money to go back again.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,332 posts
129 reviews
8. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

Which areas did you dive at in Menjangan? There are several areas around the island with very different characteristics. Who did you go with a regular dive shop or with one of the private boats? Just wondering since in your posts you mention diving Pemuteran but not Menjangan.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

Hi..We are in Bali next week...can't wait. Again, we are doing 3 areas of about 10 days each of diving (30 day max visa!!), Pemuteran, Tulamben and Amed. This will be our 4th year. We love all 3 areas as they give you something different.

In Pemuteran: Price wise: we pay 800,000ea IDR for 2 boat dives locally at Pemuteran or 1,000,000 IDR to go to Menjangan for 2 dives including transport and fees. This time we are not too worried about doing the island as we find our dive centre finds just as good locally. For something different, go to Secret Bay but beware the water temp is cold!!. I think Pemuteran is more relaxed and quieter than Amed. Some good Warings on the high street.

At Tulamben, we usually dive by ourselves without a guide. This trip we have decided to go on a couple of boat trips around the 'corner' arranged by our dive centre at the hotel (Matahari Dive).

In Amed we stay at Hotel Uyah which has a dive centre but use our own private guide. He charges us $120 for two dives for the 2 of us, picks us up with all equipment and supplies lunch. He is an amasing finder of the smallest stuff and our dives are usually around the 100 minutes. As he says "we are not T.Bag divers" meaning dunk us in and take us out 30 minutes later!!

3 different areas, 3 types of diving and we love it............bring it on...

Chris

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: diving amed versus pemuteran

aquanuts, sorry, we'll miss you this trip. Have had to cancel. Hubby recently had knee surgery, but not successful, will be having a knee replacement in a couple of weeks.

Reply to: diving amed versus pemuteran
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amed