We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Townsend, TN

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Townsend, TN

Has anyone stayed in Townsend? We are looking at the Highland Manor Inn. We have to make a quick trip in the next few weeks ( my hubby has an interview!! YAY!) But dont want to deal with the crowds of gatlinburg- as much as we love gatlinburg....lol.... we just want some quiet!!

Any other ideas!!!

USA
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Townsend, TN

It is a nice area to live. (Not that far from Knoxville BTW)!

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Townsend, TN

Thanks!!! Thats a good idea, we hadnt considered living in Townsend, but we will def. look into it! I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are going to be able to move out that way in a month or so.

Has anyone stayed there? Any lodging suggestions? Since we are booking so late, i guess we are going to have to take what we can get.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Townsend, TN

Sparkle, I used to visit Townsent a lot. The short-lived CBS TV show "Christy" was filmed there and I attended a few fan fests hosted in Townsend. It is indeed a lovely place to visit and it is more low key than Gatlinburg. And a lot smaller! When you first get into town, stop by the Visitor's Center as they have plenty of brochures and advice.

The times I have stayed in Townsend, twice we rented a cabin and once I stayed at the Tally Ho Hotel. Both times the cabins were nicely furnished and pleasant. The Tally Ho is a no frills-type hotel but it is on the main road and close to everything. It was clean and comfortable.

Townsend is home to Cade's Cove, which is in the Smokey Mountains National Park. It's a winding road that takes you through some beautiful scenery and you'll probably see some deer. It takes a while during the summer to get through it as tourists like to go there. Tuckaleechee Caverns are supposed to be a fun visit but I never made it there.

Lots of people enjoy fishing and floating down the Little River on innertubes. That's a refreshing thing to do on a hot day. Townsend also has an eight-mile bike trail. Then there are the countless hiking trails and waterfalls to explore.

Apple Valley Kitchen is a nice country store/restaurant to stop at on your way into town. Good sandwiches and soup. The Timebers has a good breakfast buffet. Smokin' Joes Barbecue is also worth a visit.

I promise you that you'll enjoy your visit to Townsend. It's a memorable place to visit.

Visit: www.smokymountains.org

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Townsend, TN

I am soooo jealous!!!!! Good luck with the interview!!!! I stayed in a cabin there once. My cousin stays at the Tally ho everytime they go. They love it!!!

Little Rock, AR
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Townsend, TN

Highland Manor is very nice and very clean. We have stayed there many times & have never been unhappy with it. It is the best hotel there. Lucky you if you get to live there or near. We would love to retire there. Like you we want the quiet, it's great. Good Luck with the interview.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,666 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Townsend, TN

If Highland doesn't work for you, please consider the Tally Ho Inn for a second choice.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Townsend, TN

We stayed at the Riverstone Lodge for one night in April and enjoyed it. You can definitely tell that it's older and the bathroom was tiny but it was VERY clean and the people that owned it were really friendly and helpful. It has an area you can walk down to the river and also kind of a yard area with swings and landscaping and stuff. It was a great price too, one of the lowest I could find in the area. Which was why I chose it but ended up being pleasantly surprised!

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Townsend, TN

Its funny how things get bumped up.... this post is from 2005. He did get offered the job, but is no longer my husband.... lol.

But thanks for the replies.... ironically I am again planning to come to townsend next week!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Townsend, TN

That's so funny! That's what you get for not paying attention I guess. I didn't even notice. Anyway, have a good time when you head down there!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Townsend, TN

We have stayed at the Riverstone Lodge 3 times in past year,very reasonable and comes with fridge,microwave and coffeemaker.Quiet litle place.